Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

**************How easy is it to break into your home?***********

(6 Posts)
kiskidee Thu 13-Sep-07 19:11:17

Does your home or conservatory have patio doors that look like French doors?

These ones are considered safer than the sliding ones as many people know.

Please check the hinges of yours.
There normally is a pin which drops down the hinge on which the door opens and shuts.

This pin is placed in by gravity but there is a tiny screw which pierces this pin at a 90 degree angle which keeps this pin from being removed.

If this pin is not there, or is in loosely, it takes a thief no time at all to remove the pin and remove your door.

PLEASE CHECK this pin and screw or get someone to do it for you.

A nieghbour of mine got robbed yesterday in this fashion. The houses on our estate are no more than 3 yrs old and all have these types of doors installed. Of about 12 properties checked, all of these screws were loose except ours.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 13-Sep-07 21:35:26

shock We have proper french doors which are handmade and ours are fine, I just checked. But I have to say, I broke into our house at the weekend because we were locked out - I managed to use a pole to drag the pram that was on the other side of the conservatory to the catflap and get spare keys out the bag pocket of it to get in. Which wiped my smug grin about my 'very secure' house off my face.

kiskidee Fri 14-Sep-07 05:34:06

apparently, the little screw can work itself loose with the opening and shutting of the french door. look to see if a screw like this one exists and check it to see if it is tight.

magnolia74 Fri 14-Sep-07 07:03:00

Checked mine and they are ok but I still think ours would be easier than some to get into but then I dare any burglar to get through my 2 dogs 1st grin
(actually my dogs would probably lick them to death but the burglar wouldn't know that!)

lizziemun Fri 14-Sep-07 07:53:13

Ours are fine.

Except yesterday when we took dd to nursery yesterday (her first time) I forgot to shut the front door blush.

In my defense i did only give birth last friday so not completely with it.

Thank god we live at the end of the close so our door can not be seen unless you are coming to us.

Trinityrhino Fri 14-Sep-07 07:55:03

pretty easy considering none of our doors lock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now