Talk

Advanced search

I feel like a scared kid.....

(10 Posts)
Olipop Thu 13-Sep-07 11:30:36

I've just moved into a new house (a 1930's bungalow) and the stereo keeps turning itself on. Now the rational grown up in me (and my DH) says that its just a power surge or a glitch but the scared kid in me is panicking that we've moved into a haunted house. I'm starting to dread the thought of being there on my own with DS and I'm jumping at shadows and creaks.
What can I do? I can't let this get the better of me!...I want to be enjoying my new home...

belgo Thu 13-Sep-07 11:35:24

How odd! I suggest unplugging the stereo.

Meeely2 Thu 13-Sep-07 11:37:08

does your stereo have some sort of funky timer on it which could have been set while it was being set up in new house?

Chirpygirl Thu 13-Sep-07 11:37:45

Have you tried plugging it into different sockets?

elesbells Thu 13-Sep-07 11:39:24

we had a stereo that did this and it was the alarm/timer thingy that was accidently set...it scared me silly.

Olipop Thu 13-Sep-07 11:41:27

Belgo - it has an integrated battery so I'd have to let it run out to test that theory.
Meeely2 - thats a distinct possibility...I'll have to try and find the manual.
Chirpygirl - I switched it off at the plug and it carried on which completely terrified me until I remembered about the battery!
I think I have just got myself into a tizz about it all now. It's probably a settling in thing but I am not feeling very cosy....

kerala Thu 13-Sep-07 11:51:11

We stayed in a haunted house in this summer. I dont really believe in that stuff and dh even less so but there was NO explanation for some of the things that went on. We were quite relieved when the holiday came to an end. It was worse than a stereo turning on (which can be explained by a pre-setting of the stereo, power surge or something) much worse.

I think make yourself believe it is nothing keep the house nice and light, radio playing etc and enjoy your new house. Oh and dont watch any scary films on your own!

NineUnlikelyTales Thu 13-Sep-07 11:53:17

Our DS kept setting the timer on our stereo when he was fiddling with the buttins (which was impressive as we couldn't do it ourselves) It used to come on at random times, usually in the small hours of the morning. I bet it's something like that.

bubblerock Thu 13-Sep-07 11:58:26

Could it be a neighbours remote control? Our digi box kept switching over when we had it in the back room and it was picking up next doors remote - christ they watched some crap! smile

Yours reminds me of the Friends episode with Phoebe and the smoke alarm! grin

Olipop Thu 13-Sep-07 12:05:29

Ooooh no Kerala..that sounds awful!
I'm just telling myself its a power surge and I'm goign to make sure I take the Ipod out at all times so that it CANT play!
I'm going to have to be brave! I feel like a right kid!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: