Talk

Advanced search

arghh flies - dozens of them in the house - don't know where they're coming from either!!!

(21 Posts)
TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 12-Sep-07 16:21:39

2 nights ago DH had to get the flyspray before bed as there were so many of them - infact as I used kitchen towel to pick them up (dead obviously) I counted 22. He had to spray again last night - but there weren't so many. Thing is the windows hadn't been open, and the backdoor not left open - so where are they coming from????????

louii Wed 12-Sep-07 16:25:17

If you are anywhere near fields this is the cause as the farmers are cutting things down and there are usually loads of flys, it usually lasts a couple of weeks.

Hurlyburly Wed 12-Sep-07 16:27:32

I had a bad year with flies a couple of years ago. Repeat spraying daily. Lots of wiping down to stop eating flypoisoned fruit from flypoisoned plates. Tis a nightmare. The purpley things you stick on walls are quite effective if totally hideous.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 12-Sep-07 16:29:34

but where are they getting in from?? I've been out this afternoon - all windows and doors shut and there's more of the damn things????

Bewilderbeast Wed 12-Sep-07 16:31:40

speaking from recent painful experience have you vacced up any food with your vaccum recently? We wondered where they flies were coming from and discovered a load of maggots in the vac

Notquitegrownup Wed 12-Sep-07 16:33:54

I lived in a lovely rented house once, which had a problem with flies - around 600 a day in the converted attic room - just at this time of year. It was horrific!

There was an article on TV about them, asking people to report swarms of them. Can't remember the details, or how they got into an apparently closed room. I moved!

We now live near fields nd get some coming into our new house too down the chimney and through the fireplace - but not nearly as many. One year when there were a lot I sealed up the edges of the gas fire with sellotape, and they couldn't get through that!

Chirpygirl Wed 12-Sep-07 16:48:02

I had this and after 4 days we discovered 2 potatoes had rolled down teh back of the cupboard and under teh kickboard. The smell was so bad I had to leave the house for the day with all doors and windows open but we couldn't smell anything until DH took the kickboard off (and about 60 million flies swarmed out...ack)

Have you checked EVERYWHERE for lost food?

And total sympthay BTW, I HATE flies.

Lilymaid Wed 12-Sep-07 16:51:12

We once had them hatching on the floor just below the window. Suggest you vacuum round all edges of carpets, under furniture and other places where they could be hatching out.

geekgirl Wed 12-Sep-07 16:52:33

are they normal sized flies or fruitflies?

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 12-Sep-07 16:53:34

normal - they're horrible urghhh

binkleandflip Wed 12-Sep-07 16:53:50

check your houseplants. They hatch out of soil

saltire Wed 12-Sep-07 16:54:48

Or have you got a chimmney? We had one which was supposed to have a net thing on the top to stop birds, and it didn't. So a pigeon fell down and died, then lots of flies appeared. it was horrific, I didn't know where they were coming from for ages.

JoanBaezifrau Wed 12-Sep-07 16:55:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 12-Sep-07 16:55:52

yes - have a chimmney - but there's hardly any downstairs - they're all in our bedroom and up the wall going upstairs hmm

missgriss Wed 12-Sep-07 16:57:22

Lood everywhere

We had a lot of houseflies and couldn't work out where they had come from until one day we noticed that one our cats had shat under the sofa bed in the spare room. It was vile.

missgriss Wed 12-Sep-07 16:57:50

Look blush

binkleandflip Wed 12-Sep-07 16:58:59

was trying to work out if that was some new acronym I wasnt familiar with LOL

geekgirl Wed 12-Sep-07 17:18:05

can you determine which room they come from? We had this in the utility room - turned out they originated from a dirty nappy which had been 'forgotten' under something else <gag>

binkleandflip Wed 12-Sep-07 18:53:20

They might be coming from the loft...

Wonder what's up there..have you seen 'Amityville'...?

Only kidding grin

saltire Wed 12-Sep-07 20:20:14

Is there a vent in any of the bedrooms? Or does the chimmney breast go up the side of the staircase?
It could be something stuck halfway down the chimmney?

yackertyyack Wed 12-Sep-07 21:00:06

Have you got a food wastebin inside???? May have maggots/flies in it???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now