Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cycling with double kiddie trailer - anybody do this? reassurance re. safety needed!

(22 Posts)
jeangenie Fri 07-Sep-07 15:23:26

Hi
my DH has just informed me that he has invested (as of this morning) in a double trailer to pull along behind the bike (due to purchase this afternoon) to carry our two dds (aged 5 and 2) to and from school and nursery.

when I left the house this morning we hadn't yet decided how we were transporting them

now, while I totally applaud his initiative, I would love to hear from anyone else who does this and can tell me is totally safe (well as much as any mode of transport can be in London town)

Scootergrrrl Fri 07-Sep-07 15:25:59

I do it with mine but we're on an army camp in Germany with not much traffic and cycle paths. What's it like by you?

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 15:27:43

are there plenty of cycle paths where you live?

Those sorts of trailers are very widely used whrere I live in Belgium, and they seem safe enough. Safer then putting the both kids on on the bike IMO. I've also just bought a second hand one and plan on using it when i get my bike.

jeangenie Fri 07-Sep-07 15:31:55

not lots of cycle paths and one very busy junction, BUT the majority of the journey is through a park so very safe indeed...(as long as teh trailer will fit through gate to park of course)

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 15:35:54

there should be a flag on the trailer. And lights/flourescent material

Anna8888 Fri 07-Sep-07 15:39:27

My sister who lives in Amsterdam has a bicycle that carries four children but the "trailer" is in front of, not behind, her and I think is much better. She can also carry an adult passenger behind her. The bicycle is safety-guaranteed and goes for frequent services.

This is fine in Amsterdam where there are lots of cycle paths but I wouldn't try it here in Paris wink

sfxmum Fri 07-Sep-07 15:43:06

at a festival this summer I saw a few front trailers which can be detached and used as all terrain pushchair

I had terrible envy

TellusMater Fri 07-Sep-07 15:43:48

In London? hmm

DH used to cycle in London and bought very cheap bikes from police auctions because they got bent so often.

Here in the sticks we use one though, no problem.

TellusMater Fri 07-Sep-07 15:44:42

Ours converts into a three wheeled buggy too.

jeangenie Fri 07-Sep-07 15:49:06

yes I have seen front trailers and would have felt better with one of those I think but he obviously just went off in a fit of macho "sorting things out" this morning and didn't ask what I thought

tellus - bent how? what do you mean?

NappiesGalore Fri 07-Sep-07 15:51:17

we have one which converts into a buggy also.

i dont feel safe to use it on the roads. there is nothing but flimsy fabric between the dc and the wheels/bonnet or a car truck or tractor. im not gonna risk it, myself. we are on windy, sometimes narrow, but fast country lanes. i really dont think i would in london (am from the big smoke)

make sure you have a very clear flag above, as the trailer is below the line of sight of a lot of drivers.

i used it as a buggy at a festival for the 3 dc once... was much enviousness from all around smile

it lives in the garden and i use it to round up the dc for bathtime now. is called "the Balaxi Taxi" for some reason.

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 15:52:53

some trailers are just trailers for bikes and are hard to attach so are left on.

Other trailers are easily detachable and can be used as double buggies.

TellusMater Fri 07-Sep-07 15:55:04

Bent as in damaged. In an accident.

But he was cycling from Brick Lane to South Kensington every day.

jeangenie Fri 07-Sep-07 15:56:21

oooh, don't tell me you wouldn't use it - I am over anxious as it is and he thinks he has solved the problem with this...

it does have a flag - I already checked that

he actually said he will push it anywhere that's not in the park (which would only be about 5-7 minutes walk either side of 10 minute ride through park)

am quite nervous but bet kids will love it

jeangenie Fri 07-Sep-07 15:57:55

that's a long ride tellus - ours will be very local

although there is a risk with any length of ride I guess

aaarrgh!

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 15:58:54

jeangenie - it sounds like it will be fine, especially if he pushes it where the cars are busier. The park will be fine. It will be enjoyable.

jeangenie Fri 07-Sep-07 16:00:24

thanks belgo smile

I just have difficulty imagining the pushing bit but I am sure he will have worked out that it is possible

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 16:01:44

he'll just push the bike and the trailer will follow. That's no problem. I live on a steep hill and I plan to do that. I wouldn't be able to cycle up with the trailer. In fact, I can't cycle uphill trailer or no trailer.

NappiesGalore Fri 07-Sep-07 16:04:57

agree with belgo. if hes pushing it on roads and riding in the park, that sounds safe as houses to me.

i really wish i could ride it around here! might get me off my arse... wink

jeangenie Fri 07-Sep-07 16:18:03

ok - gonna stop angsting about it now and just enjoy the fact that the kids will love it (I hope!)

thanks guys

TellusMater Fri 07-Sep-07 16:19:28

Yes. I push mine at busy junctions. I use the pedestrian crossing grin

Aefondkiss Fri 07-Sep-07 16:22:40

I use one for the school run every day and regularly do trips into local small town, but I am not a confident city rider, it is fab though, makes the school run very fast, I was a bit worried when I first started using it, but had a few trips out with dh and then I was fine, cuts walking trips by half

wow anna8888 that bike sounds amazing, can you link to a picture?

I am wondering what my next form of transport will be when dd is too big for the buggy but ds isn't ready for a bike.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now