Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you give an overweight person a rebounder for their birthday?

(23 Posts)
TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:20:40

I am 3 stone overweight and have recently stepped up my efforts to lose weight by rebounding (it's like a mini trampoline)and making sure I take a walk with DS every day, and just watching what I eat.

I am thinking of buying a rebounder for my younger sister, who will be 39 and is 7 stone overweight.

Would you?

FrannyandZooey Thu 06-Sep-07 09:21:29

Not if they had had children, no

unless you want to enclose a pack of tena lady as well

FrannyandZooey Thu 06-Sep-07 09:23:03

But trying to be a bit more sensible

no I wouldn't, unless they had specifically expressed a desire to exercise and lose weight

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:27:39

Her children are teens now. My DS is 3. She never mentions her weight as such, but only obliquely in the things she says. I worry about her health.

Rebounding is low impact and actually lots of fun if you want to jump around to mad music.

PrincessGoodLife Thu 06-Sep-07 09:27:52

only if she has said she would like one, otherwise you may risk offending her

well done you though for going for it - it sounds fun!

Joash Thu 06-Sep-07 09:30:17

Speaking as a fatty - I'd love it if someone bought me a gift like that. But then I am in the process of getting rid of the flab. Can't you gush about how muh you like yours and if she shows an interest, ask if she'd like one?

Joash Thu 06-Sep-07 09:30:33

muh???
much

kslatts Thu 06-Sep-07 09:33:05

Have you spoken to her about how great you think yours is and if you have what was her reaction.

I am overweight and wouldn't be offended if my sister bought me one for my birthday, but I have said to her in the past that I would like to lose weight.

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:33:39

That's what I was worried about - causing offence.

But should you give someone what they want (cake, chocolate, material things) or what they need - exercise and a more healthy lifestyle? Am I helping her by colluding with her or am I just making things worse for her long term?

For example would you give an addict more of what they are addicted to, or take them to rehab?

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:35:43

Actually, yes, I might do some gushing appeal to her competitive nature.

FrannyandZooey Thu 06-Sep-07 09:36:53

I don't think a birthday is a time to be given a present that you may in someone else's opinion need, but don't actually want

there are presents that she could enjoy that would also be good for her

how about a spa treatment, massage, lovely bath things etc

exercise is just one way of improving your health and wellbeing

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:37:07

And get her some smellies from Lush for her after-exercise soak.

FrannyandZooey Thu 06-Sep-07 09:38:25

and to answer your question about the addict - they need to find help themselves, you can't take someone else to rehab and expect them to stop drinking. This doesn't mean you have to buy them a bottle of vodka, either - you could just keep your nose out

VengefulSquirrel Thu 06-Sep-07 09:41:02

Speaking as someone a bit on the chunky side, I really really hate 'improving' presents of any kind. To recieve an exercise trampoline would really depress me and spoil my day.

I know I am a bit oversensitive tho! Why not ask her if she'd like one?

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:42:51

I know what your saying F&Z - the birthday presented an opportunity plus I saw the rebounder and thought "kerching". She loved the Lush things from last year but has lots of that kind of thing already. My reasoning is that two years ago she lost 7 stone with Slimming World and has put it all back on again - if she could it then maybe she just needs a nudge to do it again.

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:44:38

I didn't want to ask her because it would spoil the surprise, but I guess the consensus here is that I should ask her first given the nature of the present.

cornsilk Thu 06-Sep-07 09:47:06

My dh once bought me a slendertone for my birthday. When I told people they all gasped as if he'd done something terrible! But it was okay 'cos I was always going on about them and about my tummy after ds1 so was pleased.

Carmenere Thu 06-Sep-07 09:48:30

Losing and regaining 7 stone in two years is very odd and would suggest that she has issues that may not be dealt with by rebounding.
Don't buy her a rebounder for her birthday, I am overweight by about 2 stone and it used to drive me CRAZY when my two skinny sisters and my skinny mother used to try to 'help'. It is/was none of their business. Now I am ready to lose weight and am doing so, it is great to have their support. But that is because I am ready to do it and I couldn't be ready until I was ready iyswim.
Buy your sister something nice for herself for her birthday and then afterwards have a serious talk about WHY she is eating like that and talk to her about getting help for her problem. Sisters are great for support and help but can be a bit of a pain in the arse if they are judgemental.

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 09:52:18

DH bought me a one of those steppy things a couple of years ago and I was pleased.

But a long time ago, after I had just split up with someone my "friend", who was just in the honeymoon time of a new relationship bought me a book called "Women Men Love and WOmen Men Leave". I thought you f**ing bitch angry what are you trying to say! But they had a messy split a year later though. HAH! Smug cow.

TartWithAHeart Thu 06-Sep-07 10:01:12

Actually remembering how that felt has made my mind up - I'm not going to buy it for her.

Especially after what you said Carmenere. I know she has issues and she has to be ready.

I'll get her something she likes such as pampering stuff.

Thanks for your all your posts.

Carmenere Thu 06-Sep-07 10:05:41

Phew, another family fight divertedwink
Seriously though I think you are right, after her birthday get her over to yours and have a bottle of wine and a heart to heart because that is when sisters are really valuable.smile

NotQuiteCockney Thu 06-Sep-07 10:05:44

DH once bought me an 'abs and glutes' DVD as a gift.

It was meant nicely, I was doing other DVDs in the series and struggling with the abs and glutes bits. He really did not mean it in a 'good god woman, sort your fat ass and stomach out!' sort of way.

But it still makes a good story to tell people if I want them to go shock at him. grin

FlameBatfink Thu 06-Sep-07 10:09:52

Completely irrelevant - but what happened to just callin em little trampoline/trampette? A rebounder?!!? hmmgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now