Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How old was your child when you stopped using an oldfashioned Silvercross type pram?

(20 Posts)
Wallace Sat 01-Sep-07 19:29:39

Ds2 is 13 months and He loves sitting in his pram. I love it too because he is up at my level, facing me, and we can chat easily.

However, he won't lie down in it anymore to go to sleep. So I think I am going to have to start using his pushchair.

Also, since we moved house, it is harder getting it in and out of the house.

Do I persevere, or should I leave this part of his babyhood behind (sobsobsob)

HectorsHouse Sat 01-Sep-07 19:30:36

I don't know anybody who has used a pram - ever

Wallace Sat 01-Sep-07 19:41:21

Sorry that title should have been "If you had an oldfashioned Silvercross type pram, when did you stop using it?" grin

Wallace Sat 01-Sep-07 20:12:25

anyone?

entropy Sat 01-Sep-07 20:19:26

Dd started to climb out of hers at about 6 or 7 months. I had to change to the seat attachment as we needed a harness for safety reasons. she couldn't really lie down in it comfortably by then anyway as her feet were touching the ends! I think you have done well to get 13 months use out of it to be honest.

entropy Sat 01-Sep-07 20:24:10

btw our set (M&P ultima) has a base which the pram and seat unit click on to so seat unit at same level as pram was and can still be rear facing. So I can carry one the embarrasing onesided conversations and nursey rhyme singing to my hearts content (and be so distracted by dd that I drive her into lamp posts every couple of minutes) its very cumbersome though....

ivykaty44 Sat 01-Sep-07 20:24:54

My dd was 16 months when I stopped using the pram. I loved using it to do the school run and like you enjoyed her being at a higher level and could chat away. Also dd got a great view from where she sat in the pram.

I used another pushchair for town trips - my dd never slept in either pushchair or pram from around 6 months and would only have a nap in her bedroom anyhow.

I was sad when the pram went back to my neighbour, she had insisted I borrow the pram and it was lovely to use.

MrsBadger Sat 01-Sep-07 20:26:39

unless you really want/need him to sleep in it (which you might, I know), why change?

it should have d-rings for a harness if you're worried re safety

I don't have a silver cross but can see myself still using the carrycot bit of my pushchair once dd is sitting up so she stays high up facing me a bit longer

FioFio Sat 01-Sep-07 20:29:32

Message withdrawn

Wallace Sat 01-Sep-07 20:35:19

A seat unit like yours would be great, I wonder if there is such a thing for my pram... Ebay here I come grin

I do have a harness on him, but he can still roll over and sit up with it on.

My ds has always napped in the pram, but in the last couple of days I have been putting him in his cot.

Wallace Sat 01-Sep-07 20:47:38

I supppose that if he carries on napping in his cot (so far so good) then That would solve the problem of needing to lie him down.

It is a pain getting it in and out of the house though. If I can leave it in the garden all day it is fine, but when it is raining I have to bring it in.

Maybe I should keep using it on nice days

LadyVictoriaOfCake Sat 01-Sep-07 20:49:22

errr i used one recently for dd3 who is 2.5 but small.

i had to test it was all ok before i sold it on, didnt i? wink

entropy Sat 01-Sep-07 20:49:35

I got mine from ebay it actually may end up back there sometime soon as I can't get it on the bus (I need it to fold small and it really doesn't!) so it is of limited use to me now. can't bring myself to put her forward facing quite yet though so I can only go walking distance from home!

Wallace Sat 01-Sep-07 20:57:42

My other solution to this problem of course is to go and buy another pushchair...grin

this was him about 10months old

and almost 6 months

I knew you would be along soon LadyVic grin

sweetkitty Sat 01-Sep-07 21:04:20

Mum at toddlers used to have her 2.6yo DD in one with a harness, I thought it was a bit odd looking, a proper toddler sitting up in one probably because you don't see it nowadays.

I think she was just showing off the pram all polished and pristine along with her DD in frills and bows (before she crawled along church hall floor adn got filthy).

LadyVictoriaOfCake Sat 01-Sep-07 21:20:21

that was mine grin my mum called me up earlier, she found a navy version of it in the same shop i got mine from, but unfortunatly the wheels were all buckled, so she didnt buy it for me to do it sad

ivykaty44 Sun 02-Sep-07 14:52:01

I had the dolls pram that matched the full size one, what a lot of memories came flooding back

entropy Fri 07-Sep-07 13:51:06

just saw this seat that fits onto a pram and thought of you Wallice. sorry, can't do links.....

http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/p/337633/babydan-pram-seat.html

Lovecat Fri 07-Sep-07 14:47:12

I had the same one as LVOC (and a green version for my dolls as a child!), sadly dd only lasted 8 months in it before she started hurling herself about in it, even when strapped in with reins. Although she loved being up high and I loved having her facing me, it wasn't safe.

You could buy little toddler seats that go across the pram, my mum had one, but I think the idea of them was that your toddler sat in it at one end while your second child slept beneath at the other. Don't know how weird it would look to have one over an empty pram, if you know what I mean... I've never actually seen one in use since my late 60's youth and tbh don't even know if you can buy them anymore... sorry, not helpful!

I was heartbroken when she stopped wanting to use it...[]

Habbibu Fri 07-Sep-07 15:00:38

Will he not lounge back if you put the folding bit behind the mattress up? My 10 month old wouldn't just go to sleep in it lying down, but if you lean her back, she'll look at a book, and then doze off. Same when going for walks. For what it's worth, we have the M&P pushchair too, and so she still faces me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now