Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there a charity guru out there who could give me an indication of what is considered a reasonable percentage for a charity to spend on administration costs?

(6 Posts)
Issy Fri 24-Aug-07 15:32:43

For a whole load of complex reasons, I'm trying to help my company donate to a charity or charities in India close to the location of our new office there. We want to donate to projects that are both close to our office and relatively small (this rules out the international, well-renowned charities). We're looking at a charity 'investment' company whose administration costs are around the 14% mark. When compared to the 'big' charities, is that a reasonable percentage to spend on administration?

Pollyanna Fri 24-Aug-07 15:41:04

I work for a large national charity and our aim is a 30% cost:income ratio. (our supporters think that is totally unreasonable and we should all be working for free smile)

imtheirmum Sun 26-Aug-07 23:55:11

ncvo certainly used to have a recommended level -(or was it charities commission?). perhaps check that out.

SueW Mon 27-Aug-07 08:15:41

How do they raise and spend their money?

ISTR NCT has had stick in the past for admin costs but because of Nearly New Sales where 20-40% commission is taken and the rest of the money is paid out to the seller, it skews the admin costs.

SueW Mon 27-Aug-07 08:21:17

Is this any help?

Also article here and here

islandofsodor Wed 29-Aug-07 16:35:59

Also NCT admin costs often have double meaning.

You can spend say 50% on running an event, perhaps a Christmas party but the event is not only fundraising but is in itself speninf money on helping new mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now