Talk

Advanced search

i want to change from focus dailies to a monthly disposable, to cut costs

(24 Posts)
pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:02:05

any one have any recommendations.Its a few yrs since i had these, so I am not up to date.

ProjectIcarus Fri 17-Aug-07 22:03:49

i have night and day lenses you were them for a month (night and day obv lol) then bin them. fabulous being able to see if you are up in the night.

£25 a month. No idea how this stacks up but no solutions to buy.

Clary Fri 17-Aug-07 22:03:56

My momthlies are great, cost £11pm I think, have them on lensmail so they are just delivered to door.

From Specasvers but can't recall the brand (oops)

Clary Fri 17-Aug-07 22:04:41

wow project icarus that's as expensive as dailies! (which is what we would all really like as so easy and nice but ££££)

sarahlou1uk Fri 17-Aug-07 22:05:52

I get Bausch & Laumb ones from Specsavers at £15 per month. They are the ones that you put in at the beginning of the month and don't take out until the end of the month. You don't get any solutions with them but you're not supposed to take them out (unless you get something in your eye). I've had them now for 3 years and they are the best thing next to laser surgery (which I can't have).

3Ddonut Fri 17-Aug-07 22:06:34

I found I was chucking my monthly's before the month and therefore was costing more??? Do you wear them everyday? Can you cut costs by wearing them less often? If you can afford the initial outlay, laser treatment is probably most cost effective, although I'm too chicken to try!!!!

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:07:02

never heard of lens mail, i do get my dailies fairly cheap, its thur a US company, yet I don't have to provide my prescripption dets frm my optician, like some of them ask. i pay £56 for 90 lenses.

be great if u could find out the make of the £11 ones!!

3Ddonut Fri 17-Aug-07 22:07:36

I wear dailies and they're £22 per month, my monthlies were .... about £12.

hunkermunker Fri 17-Aug-07 22:07:57

No, the next best thing to laser eye surgery are ortho k lenses, imo. You only wear them at night, then take them out in the morning and have perfect eyesight all day.

They're more expensive than prices on this thread though (I pay 40 a month, which includes lens insurance, eye tests, contact lens checks and all my solutions). But barely anyone knows about them.

3Ddonut Fri 17-Aug-07 22:08:25

accuview or is that the dailies,...sorry, it's been a while...

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:08:49

ah sarah, so thats not much more thani am paying for my dailies, £45 for 3 months. I wonder if I could get the baush ones form my supplier, will go and have a look.

Do you not get irritated and dry eyes with them??

3Ddonut Fri 17-Aug-07 22:09:52

Hunker I remember you telling me about these before, I asked my optician but he didn't rate them at all, and didn;t offer them, he needed diff, equipment to deal with them apparantly....

Clary Fri 17-Aug-07 22:10:00

Oh OK have checked now it's Easyvision -specasvers own brand apparently.

Think they are now £11 - price has come down. Have to do it on DD for the lensmail.

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:10:26

hunker, what a mad concelt, i am intrigued, but out of my budget i'm afriad.

how do they work !?

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:11:01

concept even , i have had a glass of wine and i just saw its 14 %.

enoguht to comatose me

Clary Fri 17-Aug-07 22:11:15

I wear them 6 days/week btw for about 12-14 hours max.

hunkermunker Fri 17-Aug-07 22:11:19

He didn't rate them because they're not a money-spinner, I bet.

Not because they're not good.

Yes, he'd need new equipment and training to use it and it takes longer to get it right for patients than it does to give them soft lenses, but omg it's worth it!

hunkermunker Fri 17-Aug-07 22:12:32

PG, they alter the shape of your cornea minutely - kind of flatten it out. It's at cell level and reverts back if for any reason you don't want to keep doing it.

Much like if you press your thumbnail into your palm and it leaves an indent, but then fades away.

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:14:56

this is an eye opener ( scuse pun)

apparently these are all repackaged, but the same, form high street, yet one could be paying more for them.

www.contactlenses.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=page.content&pageId=16

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:15:56

is there any discomfort?

hunkermunker Fri 17-Aug-07 22:18:50

None. My eyes have never felt healthier. I used to suffer quite badly with dry eyes, especially looking at a screen and in air conditioning (so at work, basically!). But then I was wearing a lens maybe 16-18 hours a day - and it had lots of friction from blinking, etc, plus the inevitable grit in eye moments <ow>

Now, I'm asleep when I wear my lenses, so my eyes don't get irritated and I only wear them 6-8 hours a night, so my eye gets more oxygen.

Plus I can go swimming without worrying about lenses popping out or not being able to see. I love it!

sarahlou1uk Fri 17-Aug-07 22:19:57

Like I said, I've been wearing mine now for over 3 years (not the same pair - you change them every month and then chuck them!!!)
You sometimes get dry eyes as you near the end of their life span but you can just buy comfort drops from Specsavers at around £2.85 which you just put in your eye whilst you are wearing the lenses. This just helps put a bit more moisture back into the eye. It's great when you have to get up in the night to see to the kids and you can see EVERYTHING! No more tripping over clothes on the floor or fumbling to find a dummy! Like I said, IMO it's the next best thing to laser surgery.

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:21:50

sounds brilliant, never heard of these. yes, i spend my time in the pool with dd, looking away as she splashes past me, showing me her latest moves.

I ranout of lenses tis week and had to wear my specs, but i got fed up of that too, so returned them to the locker and remained kinda blind for the duration.!!!

pirategirl Fri 17-Aug-07 22:26:03

in case anyoneis interestred, this is where i getmine, they are actaully dispatched form usa, but they r=are very reliable,and the most it's ever taken for them to get here is 7 days.

No customs cost, unlike the first usa company i tried, and you donthave to give the details of your optician, which imo is great, if you know what you want.

www.lenscatalogue.co.uk/types-of-contact-lenses.asp?CategoryName=Monthly%20Disposable&CategoryID=11

havebeen using them for about 2 yrs now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now