Talk

Advanced search

Jealous friend ?

(7 Posts)
Zombiemum1946 Tue 22-Oct-19 01:40:07

One of my daughters friends has been making remarks about my daughter being spoilt. Clothes (the girl concerned is bigger than my daughter so the clothes won't even fit) and toys started going missing . My daughter found some of her clothes at this girls house. Money has been tight for years and we're finally ahead of the game and are planning a surprise holiday to Florida. We've haven't been able to treat the kids for years so are really looking forward to doing so. As a teenager I grew up wearing clothes from charity shops or hand me downs, as did my husband, and never went on holidays, so this feels wonderful. It's worrying me that this could sadly have nasty fallout for my daughter. How do I tell my daughter to handle this ( the girls are only 9) ? Her friends parents are lovely hard-working people, they are at the same financial place we were at their age, and would be horrified at their daughters behaviour.

Monty27 Tue 22-Oct-19 01:49:27

Ask the friends DM if she could have a look for xxxx item as you think their stuff got mixed up? I know it's a bit cringed but it might bring the subject out in the open. Nicely hopefully.

Zoflorabore Tue 22-Oct-19 02:00:23

You sound almost apologetic ( not a criticism op I promise! ) but you shouldn’t have to justify your actions.
You’ve been in a much worse financial situation and are now doing better.
That is such a positive thing but sadly, people do get jealous of those doing well.

My dd is almost 9 and used to be extremely close to a little girl over the road who is 10. She was always putting dd down saying she is spoilt and has everything and in the end dd backed off from her.

Maybe a quiet word with her mum may be in order? Are the girls very close? My dd wears a bigger size than the girl in question but we used to include her in family meals, days out etc and still didn’t stop the comments. I wonder how much of it was the child and not the parents....

Zombiemum1946 Tue 22-Oct-19 02:05:53

Thanks Monty, that sounds like a good approach. She's such a nice lady and been so great with my daughter I felt horrible about thinking her daughter would do this.

BellyButton85 Tue 22-Oct-19 02:25:23

She can't put a stop to it if she potentially doesn't know about it. Have a word with mum and ask for your daughters clothes back. If the girl has anything to say over your daughters exciting holiday, please tell your daughter to tell her not to be so jealous and NOT allow this kid to spoil her excitement . I had a 'friend' like this in primary school and looking back, she spoilt absolutely everything for me. Don't allow her to do it to your daughter!

Zombiemum1946 Tue 22-Oct-19 02:37:20

Zoflorabore, the parents are great. The girls play together nearly everyday but in honesty I'm not sure that it's not more convenience rather than friendship, maybe that's why the comments have arisen and continue.

Zombiemum1946 Tue 22-Oct-19 03:14:34

Belly button that's one of my worries that the child could spoil this hard won reward . I can almost deal with the stuff going missing but the holiday is so special I just have to find a way to nip this in the bud. I'm so excited about it that I'm desperate to tell the kids. My husband reckons I'm more excited than my kids will be lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »