Talk

Advanced search

Chance encounter I can't forget

(6 Posts)
Freespirit1983 Fri 18-Oct-19 22:24:02

Ok I'll start by saying in in my late 30's mother of 3, in a relationship for the last 9 years..oldest 2 children from a previous relationship 2 girls 17 and 15, youngest one with my partner a boy 5 years. Mine and my partners relationship hasn't been easy but we're close and I do love him. Sooo... 2 years ago I went to stay with an eco community for a week, it was a break from the partner and kids and a break from society. I thourghly enjoyed getting back to nature and working and living off the land. While I was their I fully embraced their way off life. The thing is while I was there I met a guy, he was interesting to talk too (as was everyone who lived there) he seemed interested in hearing about my ideas and prospective on life.. we didn't overly chat slot it was other things... Like after the first days work he showed me what they did for fun. We did some archery which I was terrible at and he showed me how to shoot (at tin cans) I remember missing as I'd forgotten to take my glasses with me, he came up behind me put his arms around me and helped me aim, he was far too close and very gentle, at the time I smiled at him but didn't think anything of it. I was having a cigarette the following day and he came and lite one up next to me, as he turned to me looking nervous he said he'd been listening to a song the previous night called galway girl sang by Steve Earle (not the End Shearen version) and said he'd thought of me while he was listening to it. At the time I had not heard this song but said I had because I wasn't sure how to react or what to say and he looked akward about it he walked away and I brushed it off (I've since listen to the song, well I listened to it on my way home at the end of the week, lyrics go like this..

Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk
Of a day I-ay-I-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk
Of a fine soft day I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
And I knew right then I'd be takin' a whirl
'Round the Salthill Prom with a Galway girl

We were halfway there when the rain came down
Of a day I-ay-I-ay
And she asked me up to her flat downtown
Of a fine soft day I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
So I took her hand and I gave her a twirl
And I lost my heart to a Galway girl

When I woke up I was all alone
With a broken heart and a ticket home
And I ask you now, tell me what would you do
If her hair was black and her eyes were blue
I've traveled around I've been all over this world
Boys I ain't never seen nothin' like a Galway girl

.....anyway, I hadn't heard the song so that was that... The next day his girlfriend arrived, he'd never mentioned a girlfriend but I had my partner.. we kept crossing paths and he asked if I'd like to go for a horse ride and seemed happy I'd said yes. The horse ride never happened as he spent time catching up with his girlfriend but kept mentioning it. Well, my last day he brought the horses up and said sorry he couldn't get out on the horses with me and would a horse ride down to the road where I was being picked up ok? On the way down he said if I ever went back he owed me a ride out on them. As my ride turned up I turned to say bye and gestured a hug as that's just how I am and he wrapped his arms around me and held on tight which took me by surprise... he swiftly left in his van looking pissed off and nearly took a fence out. On the way home I listened to the song and they have stuck in my head ever since, I have thought about him often, more than I should, found out by talking to one of the women who lived their that him and his girlfriend split up days after I left and he moved away from the community. Recently I have been given the communities number recently apparently he's living back there... He's been on my mind since I found out and it's driving my crazy... I'm not going to call as why would I.. he may not remember me, he might..... I feel drawn to get in touch but I know it's wrong to think this..... Something has kept me thinking about him... Everytime I listen to Galway girl my chest goes tight. Did I miss out on my soulmate? is it just a distraction?, have I blown this out of proportion?, I ask myself these slot.. please I need advise am I just daydreaming

BillHadersNewWife Sat 19-Oct-19 01:34:53

You seem stuck in a novel or something. Even the way you write this post is over the top and romanticised.

There's an eco community near me and the reality of it isn't all hot men on horses and archery.

I'd give myself a bit of a slap if I were you and grow up.

managedmis Sat 19-Oct-19 01:36:33

Eh?

Hechnkk Sat 19-Oct-19 01:41:44

Well, I’m a hopeless romantic. I would definitely follow my heart and see where it leads you. Can you arrange to go there again for another visit?

Life is painfully short OP. Grab your chance of happiness.

BillHadersNewWife Sat 19-Oct-19 01:44:51

She has a partner and a child of 5 Hechnkk and knows nothing about this random man. What a ridiculous statement!

JaneJeffer Sat 19-Oct-19 01:47:23

I'm so relieved it wasn't Sheeran's song.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »