Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any cornsnake keepers out there? Advice please

(10 Posts)
Donk Tue 14-Aug-07 15:24:01

What do you use for bedding. We were using paper towels, but now we have a bigger vivarium we are trying aspen. However, Slither has vanished form sight - he likes to spend all hiw time burrowing. Nice and secure for him, but we never wee him any more....
Thoughts?

Donk Tue 14-Aug-07 15:24:24

Oops, never SEE him anymore!

Donk Tue 14-Aug-07 19:36:47

Bump

Donk Wed 15-Aug-07 20:18:27

anyone?

lucyellensmum Wed 15-Aug-07 21:25:07

no advice im afraid, just to say, i lost mine! as in, couldnt find him! he may still be under the floor boards, although the dog did look smug for a few days

Donk Wed 15-Aug-07 23:00:01

Sorry to hear that lucyellensmum - they are well known as houdinis!
We know that Slither is still there because he emerges to eat his food!

WendyWeber Wed 15-Aug-07 23:04:49

We have one - he (or she, never did find out) is too big now to completely burrow in the substrate.

We are currently using wood-based cat litter - those little brown pellets? Mostly because we have huge sacks of them for the rats (not his dinner)

How much of the floor of your tank is heated?

Donk Wed 15-Aug-07 23:18:39

The heatmat is mounted on the back wall (controlled by a thermostat. Air temp seems ok.
The mat covers about half of the back wall.
Slither seems fine about the temp as far as I can tell since he is under the substrate for most of the time.

WendyWeber Wed 15-Aug-07 23:23:21

Ours is underneath the substrate and got turned off by accident once; snake disappeared, had mad panic thinking he'd escaped, eventually found him buried and thought he was dead because he was so cold. So I thought maybe yours might be feeling a bit chilly?

Donk Wed 15-Aug-07 23:31:07

It has crossed our minds to wonder if he is chilly - but the warmest place is definitely not under the substrate - so I don't know really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now