Advanced search

Mental Health

(6 Posts)
SecondMaid Mon 13-Aug-07 14:54:36

Can anyone think of any "job" I could do that is connected in some way to mental health/social work that I could do on a part time basis? I'm hoping to qualify as a mental health worker in a few years with a view to going into the social work/psyciatric work when the kids are older and would like some work experience whilst I'm at the bottom of the qualifications pile (I have just started "understanding health and social care" and have no other qualifications).

mamazon Mon 13-Aug-07 15:01:02

contact your local CAB and ask them if they know of any voluntary positions within this field.

give your local MH clinics a call and ask for detaisl of the local residential care homes to contact.

if there are any drop in centres in teh area they would also be a good place to start

EdieMcredie Mon 13-Aug-07 17:10:41

When you say you are hoping to qualify as a worker, do you mean nurse/social worker/support worker?

You don't necessarily need any qualifications to do some support work in a hospital.

Psychiatric hospitals are made up of support workers, nurses, social workers, doctors, OT/TI. Contact nearest hospital.

Novacane Mon 13-Aug-07 17:46:03


I am in similar position as I am seriously thinking about enrolling on a social work degree course in 08/09 (2nd degree for me.)

I already work in primary care so have some experience but not very much- I have been in contact with my local voluteering organisation (they have a database of opportunities and try to match to to suitable voluteering posts), and am thinking of training to be a volunteer mediator for the council to get some more experience.

Maybe you could try this?

What is the qual that you have just started doing if you don't mind me asking?

Let me know if you hear of any other oppotunities and good luck!

stargate Mon 13-Aug-07 21:52:45

look for support worker posts - half of my team are made up of people who want and probably will become clinical psychologists, nurses or social workers. in fact recently employed someone who is heading into psychiatry as a consultant.

head for nhsjobs website and search your area - mental health and learning disability services will be a good start. try forensics as well.

and if nursing is where you want to be then you could end up with a paid secondment!

Surfermum Mon 13-Aug-07 22:02:02

We have Mental Health Support Workers where I work (in patient unit), they're unqualified.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: