Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you find out if someone's been married before?

(9 Posts)
muppetgirl Mon 13-Aug-07 13:38:06

My dh once found a document he thinks was a decree nisi/absolute from his dad and someone else. Lots of deep dark secrets that aren't talked about in his family and he wonders if you can find out if someone's been married before?

We are talking around 35-40 yrs ago.

KaySamuels Mon 13-Aug-07 13:43:52

Most towns have birth deaths and marriages register in the library in the records section (I know there is a better word for this but can't think of it!). The staff in these departments are usually really helpful (wouldn't say you were snooping though, make out you are doing a family tree maybe?). hth

Is your dh curious if he has relatives (ie half brothers and sisters), or is it more curiosity because he knows there are lies and just wants to know?

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 13-Aug-07 13:49:43

try freebmd it is a transcribes list of all births mariages and deaths, you can search. not all have been transcribed yet tho so you may not be able to find it.

good luck!

bookwormtailmum Mon 13-Aug-07 13:54:20

You can check the PRO records which is at Kew but I imagine that they'd have an online search query. You'd need to know the quarter/year/location in which they think the marriage took place though. I don't think divorce records are cross-referenced with marrriage certs though. A long shot, have you tried googling the names? Someone else may be looking from the other end as it were.

AlienEars Mon 13-Aug-07 13:55:07

I have a current subscription to ancestry - if you want to give me some details I can have a look and see if there is anything on their records. If you don't want to put all the names/dates on here you can email them to me if you'd rather - alienears @ hotmail.co.uk

MaloryTowersHasManners Mon 13-Aug-07 13:57:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jofeb04 Mon 13-Aug-07 14:43:04

Alien Ears,

Could I possibly email you details of my biological mother, as I'm starting a proper search (am adopted). There is a thread in the adoptions area if your interested in more details.

Sorry for hijack!

AlienEars Mon 13-Aug-07 15:34:32

No problems, jofeb04 - my mum is adopted and we've just traced her biological family, so I know how difficult it can be.

AlienEars Mon 13-Aug-07 17:04:45

Jofeb04 - I've sent you what I think is your mum's birth details, an uncle and your maternal grandparents.

Hope that helps you on your way - just ask if I can find anything else for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now