Talk

Advanced search

Tenant wants to start a nail business from my house

(38 Posts)
Fortunei Tue 24-Sep-19 11:30:48

In general, I don’t see any problem. But what other issues could arise?!

HollowTalk Tue 24-Sep-19 11:31:34

The footfall in your house will be much greater, won't it?

megsmoo179 Tue 24-Sep-19 11:32:26

Insurance/ rates / wear and tear

RandomMess Tue 24-Sep-19 11:33:33

The smell!!! It will penetrate carpets and soft furnishings. Possibly upset the neighbours.

Seeline Tue 24-Sep-19 11:39:38

It could well require planning permission.

If it does, and PP isn't granted but the business is carried out it could lead to enforcement action. As the land owner you would be seen as one of the parties against whom such action could be taken.

I would be very careful.

Outedsochanged Tue 24-Sep-19 11:43:13

The dust. I go to some ones home and she says she has to vacuum and clean everyday so her and son don't breathe it in. She's saving up for an extractor which will help but not eliminate.
Oh and strangers in your home

notanurse2017 Tue 24-Sep-19 11:44:01

What others have said plus might piss off the neighbours.

CassianAndor Tue 24-Sep-19 11:48:19

you;d have to let your insurers know - change of premises use or something like that.

Lots of strangers in your home, wear and tear.

but mainly - the SMELL!!!

SayOohLaLa Tue 24-Sep-19 11:59:28

Where will customers park? Will that annoy your neightbours? Kids coming with mum and running around in the garden?

Celebelly Tue 24-Sep-19 12:04:38

Is it permitted in your property's covenants? Most have disclaimers about not running a business from the premises. A business where you sit at your computer and have no visitors is never going to be enforced, but one that has people coming and going, which could cause a nuisance to other householders, may well be.

timshelthechoice Tue 24-Sep-19 12:04:58

Nope, nope, nope! Your insurance, for one. Also the neighbours. And what everyone else said. She might go and do it anyway so I'd keep an eye out.

99problemsandjust1appt Tue 24-Sep-19 12:09:15

If it’s just one person and the tenant isnt employing a team of nail technicians I’d imagine the impact will be limited.
Yes there will be some smell but that’s assuming a lot of clients daily.
I’d look into it from a legal pov but tbh if it was my property I’d think it was good my tenant was working !

Fortunei Tue 24-Sep-19 13:07:23

Thank you all for your input. Apparently, they lady has already passed some training but her hubby is claiming it’s a hobby job for friends & family. Everybody is entitled to have a hobby. 😝 The dust and the smell - they themselves have to breath it - its their place to live.
I must check the insurance though, good point.

Rainbowshine Tue 24-Sep-19 13:11:17

Also check your mortgage allows it, many don’t unless it’s working from home as part of flexible working for an employer occasionally.

LolaSmiles Tue 24-Sep-19 13:13:27

Mortgage considerations, insurance considerations, wear and tear in the house, parking and consideration for the neighbors.

BlankTimes Tue 24-Sep-19 13:39:35

Apparently, they lady has already passed some training but her hubby is claiming it’s a hobby job for friends & family

Translation :
She'll be working, but not declaring any income to the taxman.

If it was just a hobby, she'd have no need to pass any training, she could learn from youtube videos.

Where does she stand without adequate practitioner and public liability insurance and could you as the owner of the property be liable in any way - do get legal advice on this urgently.

A client of hers falls downstairs or slips on the floor indoors or on the path within the property and injures themselves.
She messes up and injures someone who then has to have medical treatment, , but she did that whilst running a (possibly unauthorised) business in your property. In law, who is liable?
Common sense says she should be liable in both instances, BUT the law is not so clear-cut, there's a vast difference between morally liable and legally liable.

timshelthechoice Tue 24-Sep-19 13:47:42

It would be extremely foolish to allow this. Yes, it's their place to live, not to work.

Ticklemeelmo Tue 24-Sep-19 13:58:25

I think it's very likely to invalidate most insurance policies if they're using it as a business

viques Tue 24-Sep-19 14:07:44

Storage of flammable materials, ok,probably not in huge quantities,but if there was a fire then an insurance company worth its salt to its owners would be sucking its teeth and not paying out.

I think there are enough red flags to say no.

Why can't she have a table in a local salon or beauty parlour/spa? Answer because she wants to set up a business on your dollar, that's why, no rent to pay, no set up costs, no insurance, no business rates ..........

fruitbrewhaha Tue 24-Sep-19 14:11:21

What if she is quite successful and decides to employ an extra practitioner, or two?

Defenestrator Tue 24-Sep-19 14:28:49

The local council might be concerned about a residential property now housing a business - change of use, business rates, trade waste etc etc.

PavlovaFaith Tue 24-Sep-19 15:08:02

If it helps, I operate a tiny beauty business from my home but I do own it. It doesn't cause any issues as stated above. My mortgage allows it, my home insurance covers it, I have separate insurance to protect the home/myself/clients. The smell is if using a liquid and powder system. I personally use a hard gel system now so I don't get the smell. I also have an extractor system for dust.

A lot of Pearl Clutching going on!

LaurieFairyCake Tue 24-Sep-19 15:29:09

The only thing she'll need is liability insurance - I have that (therapist who works at home)

viques Tue 24-Sep-19 15:29:48

pavlovafaith

The difference is you own your home/business premises. You can make adjustments as you see fit, ie to your insurance policies to protect you, your clients, your property , or by changing materials you use, fitting an extractor fan etc. If anything went wrong it would be your fault and you would bear the expense.

The OP would not have that control, they would have to trust that the tenant was doing things properly and in due fashion. If something did go wrong the tenant would walk away, the OP would be left with the expense.

You have had no problems, nothing to say that the OPs tenants would not be fine either, but who would risk their house /investment to someone else hoping they have properly researched all the proper measures in place to protect the property's and are paying to put them in place . I wouldn't, would you?

And by the way, do you pay business rates on the property?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 24-Sep-19 15:49:46

You don't need to pay business rates if the room is also used for something else in your home

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »