Talk

Advanced search

Mummy ‘focus group’ - nursery wall art

(12 Posts)
Pppdpt6643 Fri 20-Sep-19 12:20:48

Hi, so I make and sell wall art featuring the initial of the baby and personalised to match the colours of the nursery.

The ones that I’ve sold are primarily for girls so far and I think part of the problem is that they feature doilies on them. Don’t get me wrong I’ve sold a few for boys but I’m wondering if maybe the fact that they have doilies on is making them look a bit more feminine as I’ve had a few people message me and ask if there’s an alternative background for their boys nursery - at the moment there isn’t, and then it hasn’t translated into a sale.

So my question really is does anyone know of an alternative to doilies that would make them appeal to mums of boys a little more? Or do you not think it matters? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Thank you!

HennyPennyHorror Fri 20-Sep-19 13:25:07

You're asking the wrong audience here as many Mumsnetters are strongly of the opinion that gendering decor or clothing is not ok.

I think that either way it would be good for your business to have WAY more than one design.

I mean...surely you can think of some other backgrounds? Some more neutral designs?

TheMustressMhor Fri 20-Sep-19 13:30:27

Could you ask prospective customers what they would like?

aandlm Fri 20-Sep-19 14:14:12

Hi, there are a lot more than one design so to speak but they do all feature doilies in some way. I’m not implying they’re not for boys as I have sold some to parents with boys, but was just thinking how can I cater more for those other parents that do want something else. They’re selling well for the girls so part of me thinks just stick with it as that is kind of our identity in a way, and if people choose not to buy them that’s up to them 🤷🏼‍♀️

hazeyjane Fri 20-Sep-19 14:16:39

If doilies is your thing then stick with doilies.

God doilies is a wierd word.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Fri 20-Sep-19 14:23:41

It's up to you. Do you want to diversify?

Cohle Fri 20-Sep-19 14:55:16

Surely you could use virtually any kids toys - teddy bears, toy bricks, balls, trains, spinning tops, rocking horse?

I mean obviously there's an ideological question about whether you want to go down the route of having gendered images, but if including dolls is costing you sales I don't think there'd be any harm in featuring toys perceived as more gender neutral.

HennyPennyHorror Fri 20-Sep-19 14:59:51

Doilies don't make up a design identity OP.

It's a doily.

HennyPennyHorror Fri 20-Sep-19 15:00:56

Cohle DOILIES not DOLLIES or DOLLYS

Doilies...the lacy paper things.

Cohle Fri 20-Sep-19 15:02:21

Fair enough grin. No need to shout.

HennyPennyHorror Fri 20-Sep-19 15:06:09

Oh blah I wasn't shouting I was writing loudly. grin

picklemepopcorn Fri 20-Sep-19 15:08:58

Could the doily be reimagined as a snow flake?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »