Talk

Advanced search

Volvo XC90 feeling environmentally guilty

(14 Posts)
nononsencemum Fri 20-Sep-19 12:08:24

We are a family of five with three older children. It is time to change our family car and we all love Volvo XC90 model. It is 7-seater (a must), spacious third row, very safe and what it feels like a perfect blend of city and 4x4 car.

The only problem we have is that we can only afford 5/6 year old one and these are all diesels! In the current talk of climate change and issues about diesel not being as eco after all (!) we are finding it difficult to decide whether we should go for it or settle for another car. We all really like Volvo XC90 and looked at other models but they just don't measure up/ tick up all the boxes/ are too expensive.

For these with 7-seaters, would you still be buying a diesel car and/ or are you driving Volvo XC90and if so does the fact that it's diesel make you feel a little bit uneasy? Many thanks

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 20-Sep-19 13:46:03

It's a lovely car, but there's no way I'd be buying a diesel car now. The schemes to get people to swap from them aren't going to be great especially for an older car, there are constant rumours of putting prices up and the resell value will get poorer a lot faster. Unless you can afford to potentially pay a lot in emissions charges/car tax and not to be able to sell it on, I think it's too risky.

AllTheCakes Fri 20-Sep-19 13:53:02

Have you considered leasing it instead of buying one outright? A lot of brand new cars you see on the road are financed this way now as it makes much more sense than it used to.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/car-leasing/

SoupDragon Fri 20-Sep-19 13:56:33

I have a diesel SMax and I would not buy another diesel when I eventually replace it. Purely environmental reasons.

Greatnorthwoods Fri 20-Sep-19 14:03:40

A little different but we currently have a 5.4L petrol pickup truck. When we change cars we will be looking for a diesel. (Annoyingly the diesel is only available as a 6.2L)

As I understand it diesel is better for the environment but worse for human health.

nononsencemum Fri 20-Sep-19 14:37:18

Thank you I hear you and I feel the same way re diesel. But as Anchor said, it is a lovely car... what other similar alternatives would you buy? x

nononsencemum Fri 20-Sep-19 14:55:58

AllTheCakes thank you we have not thought about leasing but thinking it through it seems like a good idea. We could lease Volvo XV90 petrol. The only thing which immediately comes to mind is how are we going to assess what mileage we need. The idea of limited mileage (or paying for it afterwards) is a bit daunting. With three children, their schools and clubs and holidays abroad it is truly a mission impossible! any thoughts on leasing would be very much appreciated.

MissSmiley Fri 20-Sep-19 17:11:41

I've leased XC90s and I have one now that I own mainly because I drive lots of miles. A lease is going to cost you at least £600 a month I imagine which is very different to buying a second hand one. I have five children so have no choice about 7 seats, if I only had three I'd be buying a V70 or V90 which will do twice as many miles to the gallon as the XC90

AllTheCakes Fri 20-Sep-19 19:12:09

You could have a look at your last MoT certificate which will tell you how many miles you have done this year. When you start looking at mileage, the cheapest leases are of course the ones with the least miles. With some dealers, it can be cheaper to put in the minimal mileage cost and pay the charge for the extra miles at the end of the lease. You will definitely need to crunch some numbers to see if it is viable!

lljkk Fri 20-Sep-19 19:51:42

Try to use it minimally?

BonnesVacances Fri 20-Sep-19 21:07:34

We bought a diesel XC60 last year. The only thing I wish I'd done differently was bought an automatic. In terms of it losing value because it's diesel, all cars depreciate, they're not an investment. So buy what suits you now and just keep it. We have had a 2008 Toyota since new but it runs fine so we're not changing it and it doesn't matter that it's practically worthless now.

SleepyKat Fri 20-Sep-19 21:13:55

I believe that diesels are more environmentally friendly than petrol cars.

I’m car shopping at the moment and only looking at diesel. Test drove one today and the emissions are so low that it’s £20 a year tax. So diesel by itself isn’t an issue. Obviously some will be worse than others but the same goes for petrol....more so as far as environment is concerned.

ragged Fri 20-Sep-19 21:16:37

Diesels are lower emissions per mile travelled, especially greenhouse gases, but the types of emissions they generate (larger particles) are more harmful to health.

Most env. friendly thing is to use the car as little as possible, travel by foot or cycle where practical.

GetRid Fri 20-Sep-19 21:24:18

It's a tricky dilemma. I have to agree that leasing doesn't make sense for well-used family cars. You don't want to worry about mileage, or scratching it.

Is there no way to push the boat out and buy the newer petrol? If not, then I would accept defeat and instead get a top spec Skoda Kodiak - the 7 seat 4x4 petrol version.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »