Talk

Advanced search

How do I sell valuable jewellery?

(3 Posts)
millymally Tue 17-Sep-19 10:10:16

I've inherited a diamond and sapphire ring and intend to sell it, but have no idea where to begin.

Do I take it to a local jewellers to get it valued? And do they generally offer to buy items following valuations? Or do I go to an auction house and sell the item with a set reserve?

Genuinely have no idea how this kind of thing works.

Estimated value of around £5k based on an online valuation website (sending photos in type thing) but I'm not convinced this is accurate as surely they'd need to properly see the item?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

hoxt Tue 17-Sep-19 10:11:14

Local jewellers, preferably an independent one which has been around for a while.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 26-Sep-19 10:00:59

I have never done it (never inherited anything valuable and I love jewellery so would probably keep it or get it reset if it wasn't to my taste) but I do love looking in jewellers windows (I said I love jewellery). I would suggest asking around for a reputable local independent jeweller or goldsmith, you want to check they are registered with whatever the national organisation is for doing valuations. we had something valued somewhere recently and later discovered they had no registration and didn't really know what they were talking about. Then you could ask them after valuation what they suggest you do

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »