Talk

Advanced search

Mary Poppins in West End

(14 Posts)
LIZS Thu 09-Aug-07 13:23:36

dh has booked for us to go to see Mary Poppins for dd's 6th b'day treat. (Joseph was a no hoper). Is it scary or will she love it ? Apparently this is its last summer and was pretty booked up.

ivykaty44 Thu 09-Aug-07 13:26:22

I took my 2 dd's to see Mary Poppins on new years day and it was fab, my 7 year old didn't find it scary in the least - I don't remember any scary bits either. Enjoy the treat

coffeepot Thu 09-Aug-07 14:04:37

Took my (then) four and a half year old to
see this when it had it's pre-London run in
Bristol. They didn't make it so clear that
it was only suitable for 7+ as they do now (or did for a while anyway - haven't looked recently). Anyway she loved it and was enchanted by the whole experience. There is one bit that was quite scary for her (wouldn't scare her now at 7 so might not scare a 6yo). That was when giant toys come
alive to punish the children for being naughty. We were warned in advance and I had
a chat with her to prepare her for a scary bit. I think she needed to jump on my lap and
hide her face for that bit but it is soon over. It is a bit darker than the film in places but very magical.

LIZS Thu 09-Aug-07 14:23:08

Yes they do say 7+ but dh thinks she'll be ok . Thanks for the warning , she can cope with Dr Who so hopefully I can couch it in the same way. We saw The Nutcracker at Christmas which I suppose is similar.

Tamum Thu 09-Aug-07 14:25:31

I'd have said it was way less scary than Dr. Who, but it's quite long. We went to an evening show when dd was 7 and she was flagging by the end. It was really good though

Beetroot Thu 09-Aug-07 14:28:04

She can go and see it in New York if she wants to see it again!!
She will love it

LIZS Thu 09-Aug-07 14:30:20

Beety . We're doing a matinee so hopefully she'll be up for it

Fimbo Thu 09-Aug-07 14:35:44

My dd was just 8 when I took her to see it. She is the type of child who is very jumpy and hides her face in my lap over everything but she was absolutely fine.

Whereabouts are your seats?

When you get to the theatre, don't ask for a booster seat, go and get your seats and then go back out and ask for one. When they ask how old your child is say 4. For some reason they are very precious about giving them out and we had a real jobsworth who wouldn't give one to dd (they had plenty of them). Eventually a man a few seats along, went and got one for dd.

herladyship Thu 09-Aug-07 14:37:50

dd (6) who is a bit of a wimp loved it!

so did ds (12), and myself and dh for that matter..

its fav

LIZS Thu 09-Aug-07 14:42:14

Seats are way up in the Circle but near front. Cheers for tip about the booster , dd only looks about 4 anyway ! I'm mroe reassured , sounds as if we (me, ds who is 9 and dd) will be fine

geekgirl Thu 09-Aug-07 14:43:53

my wimpy 7 year old dd1 loved it (but was barely awake by the end - well done for getting matinee tickets!)

herladyship Thu 09-Aug-07 14:45:17

or even fab

Fimbo Thu 09-Aug-07 16:09:40

I want to tell you about what happens at the end, but I wont as it will spoil things but my dd loved it!

LIZS Tue 28-Aug-07 20:44:14

Thanks for all the tips. Saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now