Talk

Advanced search

OMG DS3 just threw a complete hissy fit because I switched the hoover off!!!

(18 Posts)
TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 08-Aug-07 20:07:15

Well as much as a hissy fit as an 11 week old can throw LOL.

Was hoovering our bedroom and as it was nearly the time of evening that DS3 (nearly 11 weeks) tends to go down for his "long" evening/night sleep (3-6hrs depending on his mood LOL) I took him up with me and lay him in his cot.

Duly started hoovering and he lay there babbling away and sucking his fist (tries to get his thumb/fingers but hasn't quite figured out that he has to unclench his fist - or at least stick his thumb out for it to work). Anyhow, finished the hoovering and wanted to tidy up the last bits and pieces, and put fresh bedding on our bed....he screamed. Switched the hoover back on he started babbling again. Unfortuantely I HAD to switch the hoover off as

a) I can't leave it on all night or DH and I will never get any sleep

b) the temperature in the room was steadily rising due to having been on so long.

Well it's just taken me 25 minutes to calm him down he got that hysterical - he's still not asleep - a few half hearted Waaah's at the moment (as opposed to full on screeching) but I was amazed at his response. I know that babies do tend to "enjoy" white-noise.....but I never imagine he'd get so distraught when the white noise had to be removed!!!!

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 08-Aug-07 21:44:07

well he went to sleep no trouble in the end - thank goodness!

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Aug-07 22:21:03

Ebay sell white noise CDs but TBH what you want to do is get a radio and detune it - it has the same effect.

BTW you can consider yourself lucky - DD slept for a max of one hour at a stretch until she was five months old! With or without vacuums. But feel free to come over here and hoover if you like, there's lots of dust.

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 08-Aug-07 22:21:56

Both Ds1 & 2 do this EVERY time!
lol

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 08-Aug-07 22:23:40

radio is a good idea.........BUT DH and I value the sleep we do get too much to have a detuned radio hissing all night

I've made a vow that next time the hoover comes out he will be in a different room from where it's on LOL.

hunkermunker Wed 08-Aug-07 22:25:45

It's quite easy to get used to sleeping with white noise on, QoQ - I thought I'd never manage it, but when it was so hot last summer, we had the fan on all night - DS2 used to sleep better when we did and it was quite soothing. Not sure I could stick a detuned radio though - and we live too near an RAF base to trust that it would stay white noise and not end up as a screech of interference in the middle of the night!

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Aug-07 22:25:53

Ah but you only need it to be on till he's asleep. I have one with an auto shutoff and I used to put it on half an hour so I knew how long I'd fed DD for and normally by the hour she was snoring her head off.

You can get little units which fit onto the cot which do the same thing, but I say, train 'em to be used to the normal kerfuffle of phones ringing and you can't go wrong. DD can now sleep through most things - chooses not to - but can if she's tired.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 08-Aug-07 22:30:31

thing is though although he was happy in there I honestly don't think he'd have fallen asleep. The hoover was on for over 1/2hr (solid) in the end and he was still just trying to shove his whole fist in his mouth and gurgling at the same time, and lots of leg kicking......showing absolutely NONE of signs of getting sleepy (he's quite funny when he's falling to sleep on his own he lies so still he looks like he could be a doll LOL)

Oh we're alright with the fan (had it on a few nights in the last week) - but that has no effect on DS3 at all unless it's on so strong that it's like a gale blowing.......when he lies with his eyes wide open like saucers

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Aug-07 22:44:18

Ha! I thought my DD was weird till I read that about the fan

DD is obsessed with toilet roll tubes at the minute - you put one on her foot and she laughs for ages - I have no idea why this is funny - I guess you have to be her age to appreciate it .

Is he your first?

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 08-Aug-07 22:48:37

no he's our 3rd

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Aug-07 22:59:12

Goodness me! You are bloody brave. I'm contemplating number two. Tell me, at what age do they stop being little buggers and go to sleep?

(Please don't say 13 or I'll cry a lot).

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 08-Aug-07 23:04:20

DS1 didn't sleep AT ALL, unless he was attached the breast (couldn't put him down once he was there) or being pushed in the pram - until he was 6 months old.....then we were cruel mummy and daddy and did CC....he's slept like a dream ever since.

DS2 slept like a dream from 3 weeks old

DS3.........watch this space

(oh and I should add that we planned 1, thought about 2, and DH was definitely against 3 )

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 08-Aug-07 23:05:47

BTW - you're DD is gorgeous - just looked at your profile

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Aug-07 14:51:30

Thank you! The little monkey is currently trying to get to my laptop and I am fighting her off by throwing teddies at her!

TheQueenOfQuotes Thu 09-Aug-07 14:52:56

my 2 older monkeys are on the PS2 - younger one currently asleep in his bouncy chair....although I'm not sure for how much longer - I've just wasted nearly an hr on here instead of clearing up

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Aug-07 14:54:12

Ah yes, I remember the bouncy chair fondly! You could actually go for a wee in peace when she was in it. Now she comes with you and heckles!

TheQueenOfQuotes Thu 09-Aug-07 14:55:18

my children have NEVER been allowed into the bathroom with me when I'm using the toilet - the door was always shut firmly and they could stand outside and howl if they wanted to - but they never got very far and soon realised it wasn't worth the effort

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Aug-07 14:59:04

Haven't got a choice, DD is into everything in a second at the minute - little monster. Hopefully when she gets a bit older she'll learn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: