Talk

Advanced search

Gymnastics for Boys

(6 Posts)
auntysocial Tue 07-Aug-07 22:20:57

I have a 6 year old son who is as much a "lad" as they come, he's always up in tree's, if there is a drain pipe he'll be half way up it, if there's a fence it will be climbed, he loves to jump off his high sleeper bed and grip the top of his bedroom door and hang there before jumping off...he can scale a wall that is almost the same size as him soldier style, he's thin, agile and fast...so despite the "Girly stigma" I thought Gymnastics would be absolutely ideal for him, I think he would be great at it!

Does anyone's sons do it and how much do classes normally cost?

ju Tue 07-Aug-07 22:37:50

hi aunty my 2 DSs are age 7 and 5 and go to 'boogie nights' dance classes, very physical as well as fun. And these are boyish boys iyswim, football/swimming/climbing etc. So ditch the 'girly' stigma and send him to your local gymnastics club. He'll love it

cece Tue 07-Aug-07 22:39:08

My DS is nearly 4 and has been doing gym classes for nearly a year now. He loves it. There are a few that go to DD's class for 6 year olds too but it is two thirds girl.

tibni Tue 07-Aug-07 22:46:08

my 8 yr old DD goes to gym. There are about 10 boys that go from 5 yr old to 18yr olds. The club my dd belongs to is run by volunteers, so isn't expensive, but there is British Gymnastics insurance on top of any club fees.

All the boys who attend gymnastics I would class as "boys boys" - they have to be physically fit and capable. In my area gymnastics seems to be an acceptable activity among the lads so no stigma. (None of them however would be seen dead in a boys leotard in practice!)

lucylady Wed 08-Aug-07 20:16:28

My DS age 6 goes to gymnastics and he loves it. I dont think it is girly and neither does he. He loves to impress everyone with his handstands.

lulumama Wed 08-Aug-07 20:18:15

my DS does gymnastics, he is almost 8, and been going for 18 months

he loves it, it is very disciplined, and not just leaping about...he certainly enjoys it, and no stigma i know of..

it costs £130 per year , runs all year except for summer hols and end of term hols

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now