Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

sold the wrong sized shoes for ds - can I take them back?

(14 Posts)
deaconblue Tue 07-Aug-07 21:32:22

Went to John Lewis to get ds' feet measured today and was told he'd grown 2 sizes in just 6 weeks (he's 15 months old). Questioned this but the woman said he was definitely now a 5. So he tries on several pairs and we come away with £28 startrite sandals as they were the only "perfect fit". Have had a good look this afternoon and he walks like he has clown shoes on and his big toe isn't even in the toe section of the sandals. But he'd had them on all afternoon before I realised. Will I be able to get my money back???

babygrand Tue 07-Aug-07 21:34:37

Yes.

myjobismum Tue 07-Aug-07 21:36:18

i should hope so - that is appalling - when i take DS to clarks, i get him measured, go for a coffee, go back 30mins later and get someone else to measure, then buy the shoes, i check the shoes myself, and if not happy make them re-measure! how is it possible to measure so wrong - you must be very angry - complain and tell them you want refund/ exchange/ voucher for when he does need new ones!

good luck

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Tue 07-Aug-07 21:37:14

oh god yes.
i tokk ds1's shoes back when he had been wearing them for a wek and his feet were covered in blisters. the person we saw said we should never have been sold them-they totally didn't fit.

deaconblue Tue 07-Aug-07 21:41:20

Good, feel awful that he had them on all afternoon, should have gone to Clarks but wanted to be able to choose from clarks and startrite so went to John Lewis. They have a little scuff on the toe but frankly they should never have sold the shoes so will strop until they swap them I think.

deaconblue Tue 07-Aug-07 21:42:33

he kept wiggling so she didn't even measure his left foot. Should have left but was knackered and wanted to get the new shoes over and done with. Bad bad mother

LIZS Tue 07-Aug-07 21:42:46

If she measured him on a Clarks guage but fitted a Starrite shoes then it is possible to get it wrong as there is about a half to one size difference , depending on the style. She should have felt them to check for fit though and if she did and passed it then either he was wearing much thicker socks or she didn't do it properly. Definitely complain, maybe as not fit for purpose, but perhaps be prepared to accept an alternative pair.

deaconblue Tue 07-Aug-07 21:47:47

would be happy with alternate pair, I just want him to have shoes that fit. She did use Clarks measuring guage but didn't feel where his toes were just watched him walk up and down a bit. He had bare feet as they were sandals and has been wearing no socks all summer. Crap fitter.

elasticsortinghandstand Tue 07-Aug-07 21:51:24

bloody hell myjob.
our clarks are soooo busy, you have to take a ticket.. probably at the wrong time of year, anyway, ie. late august, so getting measured and going away and coming back would be out of the question here

LIZS Tue 07-Aug-07 21:52:11

To give you some idea of the difference dd 's school shoes (Startrite) at Easter were an 8 (she'd measured on their gauge an 8 - 8 1/2). At the end of June we got her some sandals (Clarks) who measured her as a 9 1/2 but we decided they were too boat like , the toes flapped so we got a 9.

nooka Tue 07-Aug-07 21:54:38

We managed to come away from Clarks once with sandals in different sizes, and it took me about two weeks to notice! They were great about it (very apologetic that they couldn't give me a completely new pair, but I was happy to swop the smaller sandal for the one we left behind).

myjobismum Tue 07-Aug-07 22:10:11

elastic - i am paranoid about shoe buying since our friends bought DS some lovely fitted nike trainers for christmas - they gave them to him, we opened the box and lo hehold - 2 left foot shoes! now everytime i go to get his shoes - i make sure i take my time! i do however tend to have a peek to check if they are busy first - TBH though our clarks are stupid, the childrens shoe section is upstairs and NO LIFT - so much fun on your own with a pushchair!!!

deaconblue Wed 08-Aug-07 11:21:38

It's a mine field isn't it? Thought I was doing the right thing to go to Lewis'. To be fair to her she did say that startrite come up big but I made a point of asking if they were definitely the right shoes to buy and she said they were a perfect fit. So now have to trug back into town with grumpy ds who hates shopping

deaconblue Thu 09-Aug-07 21:02:14

ok took them back yesterday afternoon. Saw the woman who sold them and explained how they were like clown shoes etc. She offered replacement straight away and I asked for him to be remeasured. So today in John Lewis the same woman measured him as a 41/2 G. didn't ahve any in size so I got refund and went to Clarks where he was measured as ...
4G! So feet haven't grown at all. LEsson learnt, won't be heading back to Lewis' with my boy's feet again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now