Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

London Docklands?

(10 Posts)
auntysocial Wed 01-Aug-07 08:50:13

Does anyone know what kind of an area London Docklands is? we're going tomorow (to London) and the cheapest hotel we can find is in the docklands, I'm not too bothered about the area as we're only going there to sleep but obviously don't want to be staying in something resembling the Bronx...any help appreciated.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 08:52:39

It depends where it is, in the Docklands. Can you give us the hotel name?

I live near there - basically, there are some quite posh bits, which are very safe and clean and easy. There are good transport links (the Jubilee line, the DLR). But there are some very very deprived bits next door.

auntysocial Wed 01-Aug-07 08:59:54

It's the "express" holiday inn on royal docks?

It's £65 for 2 adults, 2 children for 1 night which seemed quite cheap to me for London...

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 09:06:19

That is quite cheap, but it's not exactly central. The area it's in, from what I remember, is just quite industrial. Will you have a car? What are you planning to do in London?

I think the County Hall on the South Bank has a (not quite so cheap) hotel that is very central.

auntysocial Wed 01-Aug-07 09:08:01

We will be in car, we are mainly hoping to see the natural history museum, parliament etc...

There is another one I'm looking at which looks a bit nicer in Earls Court but DP said thats a dodgier area?

bran Wed 01-Aug-07 09:17:58

Royal Docks aren't too bad, but I've had a look on a map and the hotel is really in Canning Town which isn't great if you're going to be going home late in the evening. It's a fairly rough area, but the hotel is on a main road and is very close to station so you would be safe enough in the daytime. It is quite handy for the DLR and Jubilee line though, and the Jubilee line will take you right into the centre of London pretty quickly.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 09:19:34

Earls Court is a lot closer to the places you're wanting to go to. What are your concerns re: dodgy areas? Are you planning to drive to the Natural History Museum etc? (I think parking around there is ... nonexistant to expensive, isn't it?)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 09:19:48

(bran lives closer to this bit than I do, so no doubt knows it better.)

mm22bys Wed 01-Aug-07 09:26:10

I live near Bran, and have to say that if you are to do things like the Natural History Museum you'd be better off staying in Ears Court - parking would be a nightmare,and it would be a fair hike to South Kensington on the Tube from the Docklands (which isn't a bad area, I just don't think it would be convenient for you.)

mm22bys Wed 01-Aug-07 09:26:46

Oops Earls Court!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now