Talk

Advanced search

Advice on Mooncup

(25 Posts)
mumtwogirls Tue 31-Jul-07 18:49:43

I've bought this and find it great but I always leak. (sorry tmi). What am I doing wrong can anyone help?

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 31-Jul-07 18:52:37

Probably not getting the seal right. Have you tried giving it a little twist when it's in - I usually do that to make sure it's in securely and all uncurled.

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 31-Jul-07 18:53:11

Oh, and I assuming that you def bought the right size?

bookthief Tue 31-Jul-07 18:55:15

It might not be popping open again fully when you fold it to put it in. Try twisting and pulling on it slightly after it's in.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 18:55:37

I've always wondered about these - how do you get them out without making a mess and how do you empty/clean them (eeew)

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 31-Jul-07 18:57:28

Never spilled any getting it out MAS - just go slowly and carefully, tip it out into toilet bowl, rinse and reinsert.

Wash and then boil to sterilise at the end of each period.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 18:59:04

and how long would you leave one in between emptying ? sorry to be so dense

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 31-Jul-07 19:04:01

Depends a bit on how heavy your periods are, but at the start of my period I'd prob change every 4-5 hours, and by the end (I have long periods) I might leave it as long as 8 (have been known to forget it's there for this long!).

Durdle Tue 31-Jul-07 19:05:08

I used mine for the first time last month and had an unfortunate experience. Wanna hear?

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 19:05:40

er, ok !

Trinityrhino Tue 31-Jul-07 19:05:49

I wanna hear

Durdle Tue 31-Jul-07 19:08:39

You have to bear in mind this was the first month of using it! Went to the hospital for gynae appointment for ongoing probs. They always say it doesn't matter if you're on when you go so wasn't expecting to have an internal.

They decided differently and told me to go and remove said mooncup..... I went into the loo *hands shaving with nerves* *pressed for time* and removed it only to then splatter the front of my jeans- sorry TMI! Looked like I'd been slaughtering piglets in the outpatients lav.

Trinityrhino Tue 31-Jul-07 19:09:46

roffle
oh you poor thing, that must have been soooo embarressing (sp?)

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 19:09:52

oh poor you ! see,that's what I'd be afraid of !

NannyL Tue 31-Jul-07 19:10:47

I empty mine once oer 24 hours (yes i know it should be nore often but its fine for me and ive had no probs so far)

This time on day 1 i kept leaking as well... been using it for well over a year now so no idea why it kept leaking that day

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 19:11:56

maybe the rubber perishes after a while ?

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 19:12:23

I'm assuming they're made of rubber - I know nothing about them !

Durdle Tue 31-Jul-07 19:12:23

The worst bit was after my treatment they said no sex for 3 weeks, and no mooncup or tampons for the rest of my period. 'Oh' said I 'any chance of a sanitary towel then?'. Nurse looked at me like I had 2 heads and left the room only to return with a maternity pad which I had to shove in my pants and waddled out of the hosp, creaking.

cece Tue 31-Jul-07 19:17:17

made of silicon.

with regard to making a mess, if you ease it out gently there are no problems, then just tip away before a quick rinse.

With rregards to leaking. Mine leaks when it is full or the seal isn't right. Give it a little twist and check it has popped back into shape once inside.

I change mine every 1-2 hours on heaviest days but twice a day on lightest days.

mamama Tue 31-Jul-07 19:22:00

I leaked the first few times I used mine but have had no problems recently.

Other MNers suggested that you twist it once you have put it in to get a good seal. Then check to make sure it has opened properly by running your finger round the top of it. I am sure this is just a teething problem.

Make sure you do your pelvic floor exercises

mamama Tue 31-Jul-07 19:23:46

Oh durdle, poor you!

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 19:25:36

I think it'll all be a bit much for me - I'm not good with blood and fiddling about - can't even do tampons without applicators - ridiculous at my age,I know.

Durdle Tue 31-Jul-07 20:28:31

Although I painted it in a negative light, I think its amazing and I wouldn't go back to towels/tampons now. Try it!

mumtwogirls Wed 01-Aug-07 08:26:31

How far in do you go though. Sometimes its too far in and I have difficulty getting it out. I have to wait till I'm having a wee or number 2 and pull it out afterwards!

And rofl Durdle. Nightmare!

cece Fri 03-Aug-07 12:00:59

There is a knack if it high up. You have to bear down and use your muscles to push it down... so you can reach it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now