Talk

Advanced search

school teaching assistant jobs

(20 Posts)
iamnotstressed Mon 30-Jul-07 19:51:20

where are these advertised? are these normally full-time only?

wildwoman Mon 30-Jul-07 19:52:15

they are advertised in local papers a few weeks after they are offered round the pta. I'm not bitter honestly

brimfull Mon 30-Jul-07 19:52:55

I thought you needed to have done a course though

AttilaTheMum Mon 30-Jul-07 19:59:03

At the school I work at we have TAs working from 8 hours a week up to full-time 37 hours a week (me, though strictly speaking I'm not a normal TA, I'm ICT support)
Most of them work around 15-25 hours a week, over 3 4 or 5 days. Normally you get paid for around 44 weeks a year, but it's paid in 12 equal monthly instalments.
As for adverts, try your local council website or local paper in our area we have this - as you can see, there's not much in it at the moment, mainly because all the schools are on holiday - but some may be despararely looking come September.

AttilaTheMum Mon 30-Jul-07 20:00:46

Not all authorities expect you to have done a course, though the pay is (marginally)better if you have - you can often do training on the job.

Blandmum Mon 30-Jul-07 20:02:39

Ours go on the school website and the local paper.

Some are full time, some part time.

All our TAs are encouraged to train (and supported while they do) if they are not already qualified

iamnotstressed Mon 30-Jul-07 20:14:37

Interesting!!! How much would a full time salary be?

Whizzz Mon 30-Jul-07 20:15:46

there was a thread on this the other day - hang on will find

Whizzz Mon 30-Jul-07 20:17:35

here
Pay is dismal by the way
Our vacancies are advertised on local council website. Primary TA jobs are in short supply IMO (& usually go to mates of PTA )

iamnotstressed Mon 30-Jul-07 20:24:38

thank you.

Christie Mon 30-Jul-07 21:26:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hippipotami Tue 31-Jul-07 20:56:25

Dd starts school full time in Sept and as she is my youngest I will be free all day. So when she went to her induction morning last month I popped into the office and enquired after TA jobs. They said they would want me to help out in the classroom first, and then have a little interview with the bursar and the Head. Then from there I will go on a list to be called if they are a TA short i.e one is off ill. Only after that will I be considered if there is a permanent vacancy.

I don't mind though, am happy to help out at first and take it slow. I have not worked for 8 years since having ds so am not in a rush to get back just yet.

Biglips Tue 31-Jul-07 20:57:58

hippi - do u need to have qualifications?

AttilaTheMum Tue 31-Jul-07 20:59:57

hippi - that's how I started - as a volunteer, then I started reorganising the school library (was a librarian BC)then got offered a temporary post beause a TA was having a month's unpaid leave to got to Australia.
I eventually turned into an ICT support person because I knew about Ctrl-Alt-Del to unfreeze a computer - and suddenly I'm managing the network...

Whizzz Tue 31-Jul-07 21:03:14

Thats seems to be the thing with primary TAs - most people just drop lucky !
(i didn't but did get a TA job at the high school instead )
Qualifications that are usually looked for are basic Emglish & Maths, but in primary I think its more important that you 'fit in'

hippipotami Tue 31-Jul-07 23:16:07

That was what I was told - help out to see if you like it and the school likes you. It does help that my ds went to that school, dh and I were on the PTA, and I have stood on various stalls during fetes with the head and the office staff, so at least they 'know' me.

As for qualifications - obviously decent maths and english, but more importantly being able to have a good rapport with the pupils. If they take me on permanently they will then support me in getting a qualification.
So initially no qualification needed, just enthusiasm!

wheresthehamster Tue 31-Jul-07 23:31:01

If you are interested in a particular school then it is worth phoning them to ask where they normally advertise vacancies.

All schools are supposed to publicly advertise but as we all know some offer it round to people they know first. As others have said if this is the case in the school you are interested in then you have to make yourself known by becoming an indispensible parent helper or join the midday assistants.

It is becoming harder to find a TA position that doesn't need some sort of qualification although some 1 to 1 positions often just prefer the right type of person.

Christie Wed 01-Aug-07 19:52:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RosaLuxembourg Wed 01-Aug-07 20:02:06

At my children's school you would be very unlikely to get a TA job now without a formal qualification as competition for the jobs is so intense - 100 people applied for one job recently.

jellyjelly Thu 02-Aug-07 18:10:15

I have just been given a permanent ta role after i done supply work and they saw how i worked and if i was good enough for the school.

I dont work in a mainstream shchool and i do love my work but it hard everyday and can be draining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now