Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

paper or not - please help me decide

(9 Posts)
sixlostmonkeys Sun 29-Jul-07 16:33:43

I'm in the middle of scraping the wallpaper from the walls of the hallway, stairs and landing.
The paper was on when I moved here (although badly done ) so this is the first time I've tackled this job. Previously I stuck a roller on the end of a very long stick and emulsioned over the flowery paper.

I have already bought paper and emulsion for these walls but as I'm scraping the paper off I'm noticing that the walls aren't too bad.

Now, to paper these walls will be massive job - I'm doing it alone, and a vast wall is the height of the house (so I'm not looking forward to it)

My question - has anyone ever emulsioned walls that weren't perfect?
If so, do you regret it? Does it drive you nuts?

I just can't decide what to do - do I mountain climb/abseil or do I get a long stick and a roller and ignore the blemishes over the years?

Pixiefish Sun 29-Jul-07 16:34:49

I live in a very old cottage and I haven't bothered with wallpaper. The walls aren't particularly even and are blemished but I don't care

Bellie Sun 29-Jul-07 16:37:34

we used to have a house that had completely uneven walls and it was just emulsioned.
I loved it!!
Used to love it when if you wanted to put a picture etc on wall and made a hole, it didn't matter if you wanted to move it in a couple of years time - fill old hole dab with emulsion and carry on!
Much easier than wallpaper imo

littlelapin Sun 29-Jul-07 16:38:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sixlostmonkeys Sun 29-Jul-07 16:44:59

skimming, textured paint etc is out as I'm totally skint and so can only use what I have already got.

heh, I was already thinking it's a shame I'm not in a lovely old cottage - somehow the uneven walls would look right then

the main blemishes are where a rail used to be - already filled (but not well) - can sandpaper a bit...

littlelapin Sun 29-Jul-07 16:46:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oxocube Sun 29-Jul-07 16:49:02

If I were you I would paint as I think the blemishes would show less. I've papered uneven walls before and you can really tell unless you use a textured paper. Is it worth the extra work and effort? Or could you paint a section of the wall - perhaps include on of the worst bits- and see how it looks before making a decision?

sixlostmonkeys Sun 29-Jul-07 16:56:46

oxocube has hit the nail on the head - is it worth the extra work and effort? answer prob not

will take a long long time to paper (did I mention I'm scared of heights?) and will it look that much better papered? answer prob not.

..now where's my long stick

oh, if anyone visits and says "ohhh your wall is blemishy isn't it?" can i blame you lot?

crokky Sun 29-Jul-07 17:14:27

There is some paint that you can get that is designed to go over walls that are not perfect. I haven't used it, but saw it in a DIY place. Don't know what it is called though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now