Talk

Advanced search

Are you scared?

(5 Posts)
andri157 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:29:37

Are you scared of death? What's your view on it? I'm petrified to grow old , go downhill, then die The thought scares me. Pointless post but be interesting to see others opinions

CherryPavlova Fri 12-Jul-19 21:34:23

Not at all. My experience of death is a predominantly peaceful process - even in children. I think unexpected death is another matter entirely and a violent death will always be difficult to come to terms with but in old age, it’s often a release and relief.
Not everyone goes downhill. Lots die gently in their sleep, having lived an active life until near their death.
Life contracts and as we reach old age, we want less usually.

Ginger1982 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:35:02

I don't much like the thought of being old and decrepit but I'm not scared to die. Too many wonderful folk and beloved pets will be waiting for me.

wheresmymojo Fri 12-Jul-19 21:37:02

Is it being ill or the actually dying bit?

I just finished a book written by a forensic pathologist and he said, based on things he knows about death, that the actual end bit (the dying) is most likely quite a pleasurable experience.

Basically that as you start to switch off it will be like going into a very deep relaxed sleep.

I'm not scared of the physical act of dying. I would prefer not to die of some horrible drawn out disease like cancer as I think the illness in the last months will be worse than the death.

I think though it would be hard to see those around me and the impact on them? Especially DH if I were to go first...

wheresmymojo Fri 12-Jul-19 21:38:53

It's not something I think about much though. Mainly because other than being born it's the one thing that is guaranteed to happen to every single on of us. We can't control it so not worth thinking and worrying about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »