Talk

Advanced search

My trip to the swimming pool! ARGH!

(27 Posts)
FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 17:41:06

I'm not putting this in AIBU because I don't care one way or the other!!!

Yes, hindsight, wet day during the summer holidays wasn't the best time to take 2 small children swimming, but still...

Soooooooooooo many big kids in the teaching pool it was unbelievable and the lifeguards just letting them get on with it - so very stressful for DS who is diddy and not used to swimming.

Then, he is tired, so I leave DD with my mum and go to take him to get dressed.

Showers all being used, he's in need of the warm water, so I wait. 2 kids leave them, I step back to let them get out, so some dad and 6-7 yr old comes in from the pool, pushes past me and into the shower - so me and my (to the untrained eye seemingly 12 month old) baby are left to stay cold and damp

Finally get him warmed up and in to get dressed, all changing cubicles occupied, no space to change a baby on the little communal bit, so we wait - DS now wrapped in a towel, but teeth chattering and looking miserable.

A cubicle, with a baby changing bit becomes free, and some woman with her again, much older children (of an age to dress themselves standing up iyswim) push past me in the time it took me to pick up the swimming bag, and slam the cubicle door on me!!!

I ended up perched on a teeny bit of bench in the communal area trying to get a sobbing DS dressed

Is it just me that sees someone waiting with a small cold child, and lets them go first?! Am I just too nice and this is the way the world is meant to work?!

ARGH! Pissed off with it all.

meowmix Thu 26-Jul-07 17:54:56

next time bump them so their knickers fall on the wet floor.

I'd have been screeching harpy-like and am impressed with your self-control.

Egg Thu 26-Jul-07 17:58:44

Some people have no shame. I would never push in front of anyone, esp with cold and shivery little lad. Hope DS got warmed up and was ok afterwards, poor chap.

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 19:46:35

He was whingey, but he has since consumed his dinner, half of his sister's and some of mine... think it worked up an appetite!!!

Glad to hear that I'm not insane and this isn't how decent people live

Twiglett Thu 26-Jul-07 19:49:06

have you lost your voice

"excuse me, we were waiting" ???

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 19:50:45

This is where the whole me shrinking into a teeny ball when rl people are involved comes into play

Cammelia Thu 26-Jul-07 19:51:10

I haven't let people push in front of me since 1979

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 19:52:32

I've got to ask.... what happened in 1979??

(Am thinking you are the second twin...)

BettySpaghetti Thu 26-Jul-07 19:53:21

I'm not surprised you were pissed off. I think there must be something about the beginning of the school holidays that makes people behave like that (selfish queue jumping) as I had it happen to me three times in the space of 10mins in the library the other day.

I was signing up DD for the Big Wild Read, enrolling DS for his own ticket and getting books out so was backwards and forwards to the counter -by the third time I was not a happy bunny.

bozza Thu 26-Jul-07 19:54:22

Argh flame you have reminded me of one I used to take DS who would be 3.5-4 and DD who would be 6-9 months swimming on my own. The swimming bit was fine because it was a baby class. The nightmare was afterwards because they were renovating the changing rooms so only 1/2 space available, no cubicles and it would be so crowded that I could never find a space for the 3 of us. And what was worse was that some of the grandmothers would come and watch, then be elbowing me out of the way to dry the baby, while the mothers got on with sorting themselves out, and I would be left struggling to find a space between them and the over-50s arriving for the next session.

I thought I had got over that but given that I have just blurted it all out I am not sure. At least DS should sleep tonight - nothing like swimming to get them to sleep IME.

Cammelia Thu 26-Jul-07 19:57:25

What an interesting idea flame, no was not born in 1979, was already mother of first child

bookwormtailmum Thu 26-Jul-07 19:57:27

I usually end up thinking things and imagining myself doing some abh to these sort of people (I've had a lot of people forget the concept of a bus queue the last few weeks). But I rarely say anything - I'm not an outwardly bolshy sort of person.

In my experience librarians often go for the longer queue just to get people moving regardless of how long you've been waiting - usually on the other counter! unless you get the right sort of old-fashioned librarian where you wouldn't breathe without permission and who takes everyone in the order in which they arrived.

NeverEndingPileOfLaundry Thu 26-Jul-07 19:57:51

We had a similar experience when we took our DD swimming for the first time ever, and it is maddening. She was 3 or 4 months old, and it was young teens who were wanting to use the baby change cubicles presumably so they could chat with their mates.

DH was pretty forceful though and made them move . I haven't been back to that pool since though.

Walnutshell Thu 26-Jul-07 20:00:14

Aww, flame, I think I understand where you are coming from. xx

MrsScavo Thu 26-Jul-07 20:01:35

Thankyou for reminding me why I have membership to a gym with a very nice pool and spacious changing rooms.

If I had been you today, I would have made loud comments to my baby about rude people pushing in front, "yes I know your'e cold and need a changing table sweethartW. Oh, and the look I would have given them when they came out! (I would have waited around especially to give the look)

tearinghairout Thu 26-Jul-07 20:04:37

Am supposed to be going swimming tomorrow - this has started the palpitations!

I think that if it was packed everyone must've been feeling stressed/cold so then the thin veneer of civilisation disappears and if they see a cubicle become free, they grab it.

It's funny how, when we're put into close proximity with a lot of strangers, it doesn't take much for the base instincts to surface - airplane, supermarket queue, and now swimming pool. Apparently normal people can explode if you dare push their stuff up on the supermarket conveyor belt...

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 20:31:24

Cammelia - spill then!

Walnutshell Thu 26-Jul-07 20:35:14

MrsScavo, while I understand your feelings and would possibly say nothing at all myself, your approach makes it difficult for the 'wrongdoer' to correct the situation.

For example, you could say, "excuse me, my ds is cold and I have been waiting for the showers, but I won't keep you a minute" giving them the opportunity to agree gracefully, rather than making comments likely to initiate irritation or anger.

Cammelia Thu 26-Jul-07 21:01:23

Wish I did have an interesting story to tell but just meaning that once you've got a little dependent one you somehow get more courageous about standing up to people

MrsScavo Thu 26-Jul-07 21:41:23

Walnutshell, you are quite right. The stupid thing is, I would be working my self up at the same time, getting angrier, and angrier. Maybe I should rethink my aproach.

Walnutshell Thu 26-Jul-07 21:51:56

Truthfully, I expect I would do exactly the same MrsS... I'm only wise when I don't have to put it into practice

I understand about working yourself up only too well.

Frizbe Thu 26-Jul-07 22:55:08

Awwww nightmare Flame and to think the attendants were giving me dirty looks for taking the kids and a buggy into the family changing bit of our pool the other day (oh they hate the buggys being in there, but they never say owt!) I really need it to keep dd2 out of everything.....

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 23:01:12

Just got off the phone with a friend - we're going again tomorrow!

My babies are gonna be sooo tired

She is much more forceful than me - she'll yell at anyone who's mean

FlameParakeet Fri 27-Jul-07 13:10:43

Much better today Quieter and everyone was very nice to each other

hifi Fri 27-Jul-07 13:25:05

i love revenge in these situations, i was travelling alone with dd, 2yrs and carrying her from plane, asleep, rucksack on back, woman behind, v. well dressed perfect hairdo etc was tutting at me for not moving quick enough, pushed pass me at the airplane exit and marched off, caught up to her at passportcontrol and ended up infront of her going out to get transit train, still carrying dd, she kicked the back of my feet as she was so impatient. finally got on train someone gave me a seat, she stands in front of me, i stick my old chewing gum on her lovely tods suede bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now