Talk

Advanced search

My 12 Year Old Wants To Be An Actor. He Wants Me To Take Him To Auditions, I Don't Know Where To Start?

(7 Posts)
KennDodd Sat 13-Jul-19 23:57:42

Thank you both so much, that's really, really useful advice and links. I'll check them out more in the morning.

LIZS Sat 13-Jul-19 16:25:27

One of the children's casting directors , Jo Hawes, does one-day audition workshops and short practical courses, and has written a book - check out her website as it lists shows she is currently auditioning for. You can also subscribe to Jessica Ronane's mailing list to be notified of upcoming auditions. He needs some regular workshop and show experience to gain confidence and skills, through local theatre groups, Lamda, drama festivals etc. Are you on notapushymum.com?

motheroftwoboys Sat 13-Jul-19 16:12:35

I used to do casting for tv in my previous life and my son was a professional actor for a few years when he was young. Depending on where you live there are likely to be many really good groups - often attached to professional theatres - where your son could go. Is the group he attends now a musical theatre group of a straight drama group? Very different disciplines. If a show or a company is looking for child actors they will usually contact theatre groups so he is in the right place. A child does not generally need an agent. He could register with an extras agency if you have one near but he should be aware the work can be exceedingly boring with long hours and little money. Studying drama at school really doesn't help much at his age but taking private LAMDA lessons is good and auditioning for as many school productions as possible. Has he looked at the National Youth Theatre? That is a fantastic training ground. Looking to the future, if he really does want to be an actor and go to drama school then he should be aware it is very difficult to get in - even harder than medical school - and he will need excellent A level grades. If he goes to a non UCAS school then there is no grant available. I would try and put him off going that route. It is a hard life.

KennDodd Wed 26-Jun-19 21:30:05

Anybody else?

KennDodd Tue 25-Jun-19 18:18:47

Yes but he's only in year seven.

endofthelinefinally Tue 25-Jun-19 18:14:40

The person who runs the theatre group is the best place to start for advice.
Is he studying drama at school?

KennDodd Tue 25-Jun-19 18:09:47

He already goes to a theater group locally and has been in some local amateur shows. I don't even know where to start with this though. Does he need an agent? How does he get one? How do I find out about auditions? Google seems overwhelming and I fear there may be a lot of scams we could fall for. Any advice, very welcome. Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »