Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leaving work & need to set up home office. What do I need?

(10 Posts)
JolieGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 13:32:26

Hi - I am taking voluntary redundancy at the end of August from the place I have worked for the past 10 years or so. Totally thrilled about this but I realise I need to get into the real world as I have been used to having everything done for me, particularly relating to IT & comms. Obviously all the work provided kit & lines and IT support will cease in a few weeks time so I need to get organised!

So - I need to buy myself for the first time everything I need to enable me to continue to get online. What do I need?!

A laptop obviously - any recommendations?
I would prefer wireless broadband - any suggestions? Best provider?
And what other kit would I need to enable this to be set up?

Ideally I would like nothing better than to buy what I need and then pay a nice helpful man to get it all working properly (I am totally PC illiterate as you can tell ) - are there companies that do this nationally or locally? (I am in Kent!)

thanks ladies for any suggestions/tips/advice

cheechymunchy Wed 25-Jul-07 13:34:57

a desk

JolieGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 13:37:30

Well obviously.....

Anything else more relevant to my original post please...?!

Magicmayhem Wed 25-Jul-07 13:39:32

a chair

Tortington Wed 25-Jul-07 13:42:02

you need a glow in the dark keyboard

becuase it glows int he dark!

you need a desk tidy

and rubber bands - for no reason what so ever.

JolieGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 13:43:15

OK, OK - so before anyone adds anything clever - I am talking specifically about IT/broadband!!!!!!!!!!! Not paperclips or physical furniture etc etc etc etc

I admit my thread title perhaps was not the most specific!!

JolieGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 13:45:00

LOL at glow in the dark keyboard ...

May as well have an executive stress toy shaped like a pair of boobs from the 80's then eh as well

Itsthawooluff Wed 25-Jul-07 13:46:59

Tbh, I can barely fit modem to PC, but isn't it going to depend on what you want your kit to do? Are you going to be mailing huge files left,right and centre, or do you need whizzy graphics, and a kick ass photoshop maguffin?

In our local yellow pages there is a huge section on computer services, etc. I'd work out what I need my kit to do and then go and speak to an expert

JolieGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 13:49:52

Good point Itsa. I am talking basic stuff here - a laptop wirelessly connected to enable me to continue using internet, email and ms office probably sums it up

flowerybeanbag Wed 25-Jul-07 13:54:05

Ideally, for safe screen use, a 'proper' monitor and mouse and full sized keyboard which can be plugged into your laptop - it is not advisable to use a laptop for long periods of time.

[says flowery removing her health and safety hat and sitting back at her laptop on mumsnet for large portion of the day ]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now