Talk

Advanced search

So, is it global warming? Discuss.

(17 Posts)
PeachesMcLean Mon 23-Jul-07 22:42:59

The rain, that is.

Sorry if this has been done before. Apparently it could be just a meteorological phenomenom. I'd like to know more about this.

Bear in mind I'm an arts graduate of course so please speak slowly )

NadineBaggott Mon 23-Jul-07 22:43:56

no

doormat Mon 23-Jul-07 22:44:09

yeh think it is the beginning of it

southeastastra Mon 23-Jul-07 22:47:30

yes we're doomed

Frizbe Mon 23-Jul-07 22:48:42

Too early to tell, the la nina theory fits better at the moment, have to see what happens next year as its el nino! guess if the gulf stream is knackered again next year, then we have a problem.

PeachesMcLean Mon 23-Jul-07 22:53:55

What's la nina? [gormless emoticon]

worleyhurley Mon 23-Jul-07 22:57:15

i dont think they should call it global warming really, maybe global change?

there have been may other global changes, ie ice age etc and granted humans may now have survived but changes are going to happen whatever we do i think. maybe we can slow them down or try to minimise them but the ice age started before we had cfc's and nuclear bombs and wars and chemicals...

PeachesMcLean Mon 23-Jul-07 22:58:50

WH that's my favourite theory too but it's based on optimism rather than anything scientific. I'm feeling I need to be able to argue my case with the man in the pub... or DH as he's also known.

Frizbe Mon 23-Jul-07 23:03:15

http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/lanina.html

jajas Mon 23-Jul-07 23:04:39

It is global warming though which translates into change (it always used to be called climate change years ago) with the weather becoming more extreme, stormier, more flooding, drought etc. I believe it without a shadow of a doubt and have been reading environmental books for about 20yrs and now it feels as though a lot of the predictions are coming to fruition. I have to say I think that we are stuffed as a species unless we make radical changes which let's face it ain't going to happen. Sorry to be so gloomy but the poor planet is suffocating with all the crap we are pouring into the atmosphere, how is it supposed to cope? God, I need to go to bed before I upset anyone!

Frizbe Mon 23-Jul-07 23:04:55

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/la_nina.shtml

Piffle Mon 23-Jul-07 23:06:03

read about the jet stream... that explains it
but more extreme weather is likely
But you know they had an ice age before 4x4s littered the developed world so there is a precedent....

Pruners Mon 23-Jul-07 23:06:09

Message withdrawn

Frizbe Mon 23-Jul-07 23:08:31

intresting http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/education/elnino/comparing/enso1950_2002_e.html

PeachesMcLean Mon 23-Jul-07 23:08:38

Pruners, not good enough. I want Scientifically Proven Conjecture

NadineBaggott Mon 23-Jul-07 23:08:57

climate change yes
global warming (as deduced from 250 years of records and the world has been turning for ....) no

Frizbe Mon 23-Jul-07 23:10:17

right off to bed here, bicker away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now