Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I really learn to drive in a week?

(14 Posts)
littlelamb Sun 22-Jul-07 18:50:14

I am desperately saving up for driving lessons as it's just not viable for me to keep walking everywhere. The girl who was taking dd to and from nursery for me so I could get to work on time has left and I am just generally fed up of having to rely on a consistently unrealable bus. Nursery shuts for 3 weeks (don't even get me started on that one!) in August, and dd will be going to stay with her grandparents for a holiday. In that time, assuming I can book an intensive course, will I really be able to learn to drive? Any experiences? Or am I just being incredibly naive, and it will actually take me months and months!?

sar123 Sun 22-Jul-07 18:53:25

hi littlelamb I learnt to drive quite late at about 33 or 34. I didn't do an intensive course and it took me quite a few months of 2 hour lessons every week. It might not take you ages to learn the basics but learning road sense and having confidence to deal with other drivers behaviour can take time. I wouldn't rely on being able to pass your test and drive with confidence but it could be a really good way of getting started if you are in a hurry. Just not sure I would have been able to jump in the car and drive across town after a week!!!!HTH and maybe someone who's done an intensive course will be on soon.

littlelamb Sun 22-Jul-07 18:55:46

Thanks Sar. I actually started drib=ving lessons 5 years ago when i was 18, but a few hours a week wasn't enough for me- I would forget things from one lesson to the next and wasted a lot of money in the process- I had about 10 lessons and didnt feel I really learned anything

FioFio Sun 22-Jul-07 18:56:32

Message withdrawn

Cammelia Sun 22-Jul-07 18:57:46

They used to say you needed a lesson pey year of your age plus practice outside of lessons. Good job I passed my test a long time ago it would take me forever now

Devonshire Sun 22-Jul-07 18:58:37

i too learned to drive later in life, and needed months of lessons. my instructor said it was not lack of ability but lack of confidence in my ability that stopped me progressing quicker.

i couldn't have learned in a week, i was so crap and scared for ages!

nomdeplume Sun 22-Jul-07 19:09:52

One week is Very unrealistic imo.

The only way you'd have a half a chance of passing in one week is if you already had lots of accompanied hours behind the wheel (with a family member or something) or if you had someone to give you lots of training inbetween lessons. If neither of these are applicable and it would be the first time you'd ever sat behind the wheel then I think you are incredibly unrealistic. Sorry

lailasmum Sun 22-Jul-07 19:13:38

No I don't think you can learn in a week, it would get you started and break the back of it but realistically it takes time for your brain to take it all in and to get experience of different conditions. Also at the end of a 2 hr driving lesson I used to find I was absolutely knackered (was 26 when I learnt to drive and had a baby and 5 years of off and on lessons behind me)so at the end of a whole day i think you will be so tired that the last hour or two of your lesson each day could be wasted. It might be better to book lots of 2 hr sessions over a few weeks. I think it took me a four or five months in the end of 4 hours a weeks and I got to drive in winter weather and warm weather and night and day and all kinds of different conditions just because of the change of season and I am sure I am a better and safer driver for having longer to take it in.

expatinscotland Sun 22-Jul-07 19:16:06

No, not to the standard needed to pass the road test here.

Also remember that you need to have your provisional license to take any lessons or drive as a learner.

You will also need to have taken and passed the theory test before you can even apply to sit the road test.

MrsScavo Sun 22-Jul-07 19:21:43

I had intensive lessons for a week when I was a teenager, and failed at the test,which had been pre booked ages in advance. I think they have to be, usually. Thank heavens I didn't pass, really. It's much better if you can practice as well as have lessons.

expatinscotland Sun 22-Jul-07 19:23:20

What really helps is driving as a learner with a family member or friend. The supervising driver will have to include you on their insurance, however, and be over the age of 21 and have held a valid, full UK driving license for at least 3 years.

That REALLY helped me.

The lessons, however, were invaluable for nailing down the manouvres to proper test standard.

expatinscotland Sun 22-Jul-07 19:23:46

Oh, and they'll need to put the L plates up every time you're driving the car.

JackieNo Sun 22-Jul-07 19:27:08

I learned quite late, in my 20s, and did a week-long intensive course and passed, so it definitely can be done. But that was a good 15 years ago, so no idea whether it would have changed so much it wouldn't be possible.

gemmiegoatlegs Sun 22-Jul-07 19:31:31

i have just started learning to drive and recently read a book that recommended intensive courses only be taken by people who had plenty of previous experience, but had a break from driving lessons, not ever for absolute beginners. there is so much to learn. Even if you were a "natural" with the techniques, the awareness, co-ordination and hazard perception take a lot of getting used to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now