Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Horrendous flooding and now the water supply is being cut off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

(162 Posts)
silkcushion Sun 22-Jul-07 14:26:34

PAnic buying in all the supermarkets. Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury is loosing it's water supply within the hour and won't be back on for several days!!!!!!!!!!

jofeb04 Sun 22-Jul-07 14:41:36

Why's the water being turned off? I hate panic buyers lol

Furball Sun 22-Jul-07 14:43:35

We too are in the county and I've filled up every bottle I can find to use as drinking water over the next few days. Scary stuff. I read on the news that in Gloucester they were only allowing purchases of 1 bottle of water per person. Not really going to make much difference is it 1 bottle for 3 days for maybe a whole family?

Furball Sun 22-Jul-07 14:44:15

Jofe - the water treatment plant has ben contaminated with flood water

jofeb04 Sun 22-Jul-07 14:45:54

Oh no, I'm in south wales, and I think the M50 is open today so if you need anything letme know.

Furball Sun 22-Jul-07 18:40:58

Ours is off now and Severn Trent have very kindly said to keep looking at their website to find out where to obtain supplies of drinking water. But their website is down . So basically you have to fend for yourself!

SaintGeorge Sun 22-Jul-07 18:53:50

Emergency number for Severn Trent 0800 7834444

Haylstones Sun 22-Jul-07 18:58:09

Got same problem, am in Glos. We were out all day and only just found out so have been filling everything we can find! Going to be fun especially with MIl visiting this week...

Furball Sun 22-Jul-07 19:28:26

Apparently emergency water is available from Sainburys in Gloucester (i'm assuming Barnwood) although we have also filled up every bottle we can find and the water butt is full for flushing the toilet.

Rumour is that power is also going to be affected as it's flooded at the powerstation over at Over way.

SaintGeorge Sun 22-Jul-07 19:34:36

Is the water actually off? If not then you can still flush, no need to use water butt. I was under the impression that the supply was still on but classed as contaminated and not to be drunk straight from the tap.

Tap water should be drinkable if you boil it, although I would be inclined to use as a last resort.

SaintGeorge Sun 22-Jul-07 19:37:16

Ouch, sorry, I hadn't realised how bad it was getting. Pumping station also failed so tap supply now drying up all together.

Furball Sun 22-Jul-07 19:38:49

we don't have a drop in the taps SG and likely to be like this til Tuesday/Wednesday.

SaintGeorge Sun 22-Jul-07 19:43:37

Shit furball

(that wasn't a suggestion by the way, because you need to conserve flushing water )

Have you got plenty of candles or torches and batteries? Looking at the news, you may be losing power soon too.

currantbunmum Sun 22-Jul-07 20:03:54

We are in Cheltenham and also have no water at all, we have also been with out heat or hot water since Friday. We were hoping to have the waterlogged boiler repaired today and finally give dd's a much needed bath. It wont be fixed until Tuesday, but as we're not expected to have any water for the next 3 days at least, I suppose the boiler would be unnecessary!!!!

Any ideas who is supplying water nearer to Cheltenham?

CalifrauniusFudge Sun 22-Jul-07 20:06:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moomin Sun 22-Jul-07 20:13:43

My friend heard this on the radio earlier today and as the water station's near me (Worcs) he thought we'd have no water too so rang and told me. So i cleaned out the bath and filled it with cold water just in case. I'm not draining it until I know we're going to be ok!

Wisp Sun 22-Jul-07 20:13:45

Argh I'm Severn Trent, just tipped out my bottle of wine and filled it with water!!

Wisp Sun 22-Jul-07 20:15:53

Bath- good thinking! bugger no wine now!

SaintGeorge Sun 22-Jul-07 20:16:02

Radio Gloucester running special broadcasts apparently (click on listen live).

Wisp Sun 22-Jul-07 20:17:19

SaintGeorge - Thank you! Listening now

Furball Sun 22-Jul-07 20:17:40

we probably won't need candles as it's so light in the evening. But have dug out torches and a battery radio for info. and have antibac no water handwash

Dh has cough/cold and ds has been vomitting. So it may be a rough ride.

Furball Sun 22-Jul-07 20:19:42

AFAIK Svern trent have only said sainsburys in Gloucester, for now. Later on they will provide more. Touble is their website is down so basically it's a bit of a balls up.

Beauregard Sun 22-Jul-07 20:20:03

Oh Furball

nomdeplume Sun 22-Jul-07 20:20:25

We lost all power for 5 hours on Friday evening. I know some houses in our area have had their water turned off too. I am in a neighbouring county.

Wisp Sun 22-Jul-07 20:23:10

Tesco Quedgely are letting families have 2litres per family member. Queues of 30+ cars though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now