Talk

Advanced search

There's a raging torrent of water only 5 houses away from me...

(26 Posts)
Haylstones Fri 20-Jul-07 17:55:26

And I'm starting to panic slightly. There's normally a little brook about a foot deep and it's about to break its 10 feet high embankment. It's so scary, it's horrible brown frothy water that's moving so fast, going down stream and round in circles too. Have totally forgotten what to do, flooding is one of the things you think will never happen. Council won't give out sand bags, haven't got any here and can't lift them to go out and buy some. Dh is stuck on M4 for foreseeable future too....
Please send calming positive thoughts

Radley Fri 20-Jul-07 17:56:50

Bloody hell, hope it all calms down for you.

I've just rung dh and asked him to get a lift home as it is torrential here, but he has refused and said that he will come home on the pushbike

NAB3 Fri 20-Jul-07 17:57:25

Sandpit bags?

Imawurzel Fri 20-Jul-07 17:57:30

try and move a few items in case water seeps in??
Wouldnt have a clue what to do,sorry.

HedTwigg Fri 20-Jul-07 17:57:45

unplug electricals and move them upstairs if possible

same goes for precious objects that can't be replaced

Lucycat Fri 20-Jul-07 17:58:45

Get as much stuff upstairs as you can. Can you put your furniture onto blocks?

Microwave & food, get lots of drinking water into containers. Torches, mobile phones and chargers any insurance details - computer!

oh calmimg thoughts heading your way!

southeastastra Fri 20-Jul-07 18:01:32

would mud in a plastic sack work? i'd be panicking like mad. hope it doesn't reach your house.

Blandmum Fri 20-Jul-07 18:01:38

Insurance details and all paperwork first

Electricals etc DVS, CDs etc.

Rugs and soft furnishings, small items of furnature.

Torches and blankets to keep warm. Make a thermos

NorbertStanleyFletcher Fri 20-Jul-07 18:04:57

Make sure you have all of your phone numbers for rels and important docs upstairs. There is a list on Fly lady - I will try to find it...

NorbertStanleyFletcher Fri 20-Jul-07 18:07:22

there is advice here (just in case it does reach you) I really hope it doesn't

Lucycat Fri 20-Jul-07 18:08:14

Can you move your car to higher ground?

and do you know how to turn the gas and electricity off?

coffeepot Fri 20-Jul-07 18:09:47

Get irreplaceable things upstairs - wedding photos, anything of sentimental value.

Get important documents upstairs.

Unplug electricity

Get anything else you can upstairs.

NorbertStanleyFletcher Fri 20-Jul-07 18:11:54

Defo ALL photos upstairs - we were flooded by a broken pipe and lost just about every photo we had

Filchymindedvixen Fri 20-Jul-07 18:16:37

good advice here. So just wishing you lots of positive vibes. Now, get off here and busy!

Lucycat Fri 20-Jul-07 18:16:45

Hayls? you ok?

southeastastra Fri 20-Jul-07 19:56:49

hope she is.

Tortington Fri 20-Jul-07 20:04:22

me too

Haylstones Fri 20-Jul-07 20:21:39

AM OK TA LOST CABLE CONNECTION SO ON MOBILE. Still not reached us, hopefully won't, rain meant 2 ease by ten so fingers crossed. Moving precious bits upstairs, cant lift heavy stuff as pg. Dh stuck on m4! Friend ready 4 us 2 go round if need be, knew shouldn't have moved 2 flood risk area, joys of hind sight!

Haylstones Fri 20-Jul-07 20:23:40

AM OK TA LOST CABLE CONNECTION SO ON MOBILE. Still not reached us, hopefully won't, rain meant 2 ease by ten so fingers crossed. Moving precious bits upstairs, cant lift heavy stuff as pg. Dh stuck on m4! Friend ready 4 us 2 go round if need be, knew shouldn't have moved 2 flood risk area, joys of hind sight!

Haylstones Fri 20-Jul-07 20:27:57

lilolilmanchester Fri 20-Jul-07 20:29:23

Where do you live Haylstones? Just been talking to a colleague in the Midlands who'dbeen stuck in traffic for hours. Keep chatting to us, hopefully will take your mind off it

Lucycat Fri 20-Jul-07 20:42:59

Thanks for getting back to us - take it easy and save your mobile batteries!

Do you still have electricity then?

is your dd ok?

Haylstones Fri 20-Jul-07 22:21:15

ALL SEEMS OK, STILL NO NET OR TV THO! Dd fast asleepand oblivious, loved puddles tho. Dh not so good, stuck in swindon and given up 2 sleep in the car. We're in glos, levels dont seem 2 have risen much more so hopefully ok... Sainsbury van stuck in flood so no food IN HOUSE. Excuse typo and text spk, hard on mobile! P.s rain has stopped...

Lucycat Fri 20-Jul-07 22:34:25

hope you have a safe night hayls -and that the sainsbo's van can get through tomorrow!

emababe7 Fri 20-Jul-07 22:53:06

hhope your okay hunni am sure everything will be fine just try and stay calm you are doing so well i wud have run a million miles away if was me ha ha but i am onli 19

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now