Talk

Advanced search

If you had to choose Organic/Free Range Supermarket Meat, or Local Butchers.........

(6 Posts)
fannyannie Fri 20-Jul-07 12:36:03

of which some is free range and others not which would you choose???

Just wondering about it this morning when I popped into a local butcher shop and "bulk" bought some meat for the freezer. Most of his meat isn't free range or organic, but it's a local, indepdent family business, whereas at Morrisons I can buy free range or organic. Morrisons I'd be "supporting" a big supermarket chain, whereas the butchers would be supporting a local company.....

So if you had to choose which would you opt for??

FioFio Fri 20-Jul-07 12:37:28

Message withdrawn

RubeusDuck Fri 20-Jul-07 12:39:01

Local all the way if it isn't actually a hassle getting to the butcher's shop.

I'm very dubious about the benefits of "organic" over local anyway, tbh, although I do prefer free range.

fannyannie Fri 20-Jul-07 12:39:35

butchers meat - although not free range etc does look very nice (and he stocks "alternative" meats such a Kudu, Boewors (sp) and Kangaroo).

It just occured to me it was a bit of a "moral" dilema........supporting local business v "animal welfare"

SimplySparkling Fri 20-Jul-07 12:40:32

I buy most of our meat either direct from the farmer or from our local butcher who stocks only local meat, some of which is organic but mostly not. I prefer to support a local business whenever I can but, as you say, at the supermarket it is clear what is free range and/or organic.

satine Fri 20-Jul-07 12:42:39

TBH the only supermarket I trust for organic/free range meat is Waitrose. But I think it's great to support good butcher's shops. Apart from good quality, trace-able meat, they are so helpful and full of info on how to cook different meats, and how much to buy to serve any number of people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now