Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question for nurses

(13 Posts)
smurfgirl Tue 17-Jul-07 22:03:43

Boring question but important.

Do you let students prepare IV drugs - is it different if they are a CD or not?

Do you let students administer IV drugs - connecting the line to a venflon or giving it directly into the venflon with a syringe.

Cheers.

tiredemma Tue 17-Jul-07 22:04:51

Im a student- but we have been catagorically told by uni that we are not to touch/administer IV drugs.

MamaMaiasaura Tue 17-Jul-07 22:06:05

afaik students should not be adminstereing or dispensing/setting up IV. Once they have completeed training in sc & im injections and been signed off they are allowed to do these on placement under direct supervision.

ambercat Tue 17-Jul-07 22:06:44

I would let them make up the iv under close supervision but would not let them administer it.

smurfgirl Tue 17-Jul-07 22:08:12

Hmm.

I am on a placement where we really only do IV drugs (PACU), I do not administer but I regularly draw up - I have not injected a drug into a bag of fluid yet though (not sure of the technical name). I have set up PCAs etc but all under direct supervision.
The trust is ok with this.

Students in ICU have been told not to anymore due to RN error but I am worried about where I stand now. Hmm.

I give S/C I/M injections no problems.

canmummy Tue 17-Jul-07 22:09:22

I've not actually worked on a ward for a few years but no I would never have let a student do this. I'd let them watch and that's about it.

smurfgirl Tue 17-Jul-07 22:12:11

I have had trust training for IVs - and they said set up but don't give.

I do it all with a staff nurse watching me/telling me what to do/getting annoyed and flicking all the bubbles out for me.

Snaf Tue 17-Jul-07 22:14:25

I do draw up and administer, but under supervision. There is so much confusion about this, ime. I don't think we are supposed to until we've done the IV course - but we do.

I wouldn't do it unless supervised, though. A mw tried to get me to prepare a bag of syntocinon for her the other day, while she went off and did something else - but she is a well-known flake . I didn't do it (even though I'm more than capable )

smurfgirl Tue 17-Jul-07 22:17:18

Snaf sadly I am not capable at all [rubbish nurse] and I think we started training at the same time? Hmmm!!

Snaf Tue 17-Jul-07 22:23:50

You know what I mean!

(Actually, am preening a bit today because I have just found out I got the highest mark in my cohort for a recent essay and my last exam - wahey!) However, I have my tripartite assessment tomorrow at which I'm sure I'll be picked to shreds...

smurfgirl Tue 17-Jul-07 22:25:46

Oooh congratulations Snaf!!

I have 4.5 weeks to go of 2nd year and I am counting down the hours! I got a first on my last assignment so I hope I can continue to do well. And maybe one day it will not take me hours to draw up morphine.

Good luck tomorrow!

ladylush Tue 17-Jul-07 22:26:32

When I trained it was not permissable to give any IV pre reg. Ims and subcut only under supervision and dose always to be checked first with reg nurse.

Snaf Tue 17-Jul-07 22:28:42

Thanks smurf - well done on the first, too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now