Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What presents can we get for girls aged 11 and 8 please?

(14 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 17-Jul-07 13:11:48

We're going to stay with some friends and they have daughters.... we want to take along presents (probably spend between £5-10 on each) for the girls - what would be good for this age group?

Last time we bought some little silk scarves which went down well but I don't want to do that again.

TIA!

Marina Tue 17-Jul-07 13:14:49

Are they crafty? Usborne do a really nice introductory book on knitting, and you could include some pretty needles and nice cotton yarn for one of the projects
Lucinda Guy has also published a similar book which you can get at John Lewis. It is less pink and twinkly than the other one...

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 17-Jul-07 13:18:24

Thanks Marina - I think that would need further research though - they may either have no interest or already be competent knitters etc.... It's hard when you haven't seen people for a while.

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 17-Jul-07 13:23:34

Do you think book tokens would be too boring? They do like reading....

Marina Tue 17-Jul-07 13:24:54

Book tokens for a known reader are perfect IMO. Ds was thrilled with his (he's 8).
Tricky when you don't see them often, I know.

haychee Tue 17-Jul-07 13:25:22

jelli baff for paddling pool! Kids love it, of all ages and is very cheap. Hopefully it will be warm enough to get paddling pool out soon.

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 17-Jul-07 13:27:53

What is jelli baff? Sounds intriguing....

haychee Tue 17-Jul-07 13:37:52

Is a carton of fine coloured powder that when mixed with water it turns to goo. Its great! Check ebay for it. If i was anygood at inserting links i would, but sorry am actually useless. I think its supposed to go in the bath but i will only be using ours outside in the paddling pool (will probobly need twice as much for a pool of water rather than a single bath though)

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 17-Jul-07 13:40:23

LOL Haychee - you don't think an 11 year old might be a bit above coloured goo? Will def look out for that for my toddler though!

haychee Tue 17-Jul-07 13:43:12

the 11yr olds down my way have no aversions to goo! We have had it once this year in the paddling pool and all the kids loved sliding down the garden slide (prob very dangerous - but had no injuries) and landing in the goo. Apart from one girl who doesnt like to get messy (very strange) i thought all kids liked to get messy, mine seem to make it their daily mission!

robinpud Tue 17-Jul-07 13:44:01

My daughter loved something called Princess Max- I think ther's a new one due out soon
here

BettySpaghetti Tue 17-Jul-07 13:44:23

I bought my god-daughter (11) one of those Custie Squishy Pillows -she loved it!

I've seen them in shops as well as on-line, sometimes in novelty shapes too.

haychee Tue 17-Jul-07 13:49:39

Photo printed Tshirts are good too. If you have digital (or can get ahold of) pictures of the two girls in question and get them printed onto Tshirts, is quite fun, especially if they are funny pctures. I had some distorted or warped before printing on just recently and they came out hilarious!

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 18-Jul-07 13:28:32

Thanks for all the ideas! We ended up being very boring indeed and getting them book tokens, but I am definitely going to look out for the coloured goo - I want some!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now