Talk

Advanced search

Quick, need some opinions please...dd1 (10) desperately wants to shave her legs.

(43 Posts)
TooTicky Mon 16-Jul-07 19:10:41

Much as I hate the fact that society does this to girls, I remember feeling terribly self-conscious about my darkly hairy legs when I was about 11. Her hair is lighter, but she is not happy. 3 girls in her class definitely shave already. She has P.E. tomorrow and is pestering me for a decision...

LucyJones Mon 16-Jul-07 19:12:29

Have you got any Veet?

QueenofBleach Mon 16-Jul-07 19:13:06

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Too early IMO

lou33 Mon 16-Jul-07 19:13:50

gosh, i wouldnt let her at 10, dd2 is that gae, tho v fair

dd1 didnt start until she was about 14 iirc

wishywotz Mon 16-Jul-07 19:14:51

can't you beg her to wait till after the school hols, she must only have a few days left...delay...delay...

fryalot Mon 16-Jul-07 19:15:41

I had this with dd1. I said no, she did it anyway, using dp's razor - slashed her legs to bits and blunted the razor so dp slashed his face to bits the next morning.

Get her some veet (is that what immac is called nowadays?) or some other safe hair removal method.

She is too young, but if she is self-conscious, then she will do something about it whatever you say, so it is better that you advise her on the best and safest way of doing it.

good luck

pinkteddy Mon 16-Jul-07 19:15:54

No no no. They will just get darker and thicker. If she absolutely has to do it, take her to have them waxed. (That may put her off for life though!)

teafortwoandtwofortea Mon 16-Jul-07 19:16:24

My mum wouldn't let me shave my legs and I got very bullied and teased because of it.

If it saves her that maybe it's worth it?

What about waxing? - maybe she wouldn't pester you so much again next time if it's not a serious issue. If she does you'll know how much it's really bothering her. I'd have done anything!

muppetgirl Mon 16-Jul-07 19:16:43

..but if you say no and you are a girlie like myself -I nicked my dads razor and did it anyway. I gashed my leg very badly. I also had no mum to show me how to do it...

I think it's too early, but we all know things happen earlier these days. Whilst I'm not for one instance suggesting that we all give into everything our dc's ask -this is going to need careful management!

Good luck

btw you must have a lovely relationship with your daughter for her to actually ask you first.

Mercy Mon 16-Jul-07 19:17:16

I'd put her off for tomorrow and discuss it during hte school hols. Would say go for a Veet type solution rather than shaving tbh (if you decide to let her in the first place)

Is the hair very noticeable, is she self-conscious or just wanting to be part of the 'grown-up' gang?

Celery Mon 16-Jul-07 19:19:29

If she is not happy, then I would consider it. She may just go ahead and do it anyway ( like I did ) with disastrous consequences. I wish someone had taught me how to shave my legs. I had to work it out for myself ( aged about 11 or 12 ) and cut myself to ribbons on the first few attempts. I shall be teaching my DD how to do it safely, and how to pluck her eyebrows too, when the time is right. I can't say whether 10 is too young though, but there is nothing worse than feeling different at school and having the mick taken out of you in PE lessons.

WigWamBam Mon 16-Jul-07 19:20:12

If it's really making her unhappy then I'd let her get rid. I had hairy legs at that age but my mother wouldn't let me shave and I was teased horribly because of it.

I'd probably let her try creams first rather than a razor though.

Kbear Mon 16-Jul-07 19:20:30

I think if it bothers her, tell her to hold fire on the shaving and get her some Veet, like others have said.

My DD has dark hairy legs and she's 8, it's a matter of time before someone says something to her and she wants to get rid of it. In fact a girl in her class will only wear trousers because her leg hairs are so dark.

I honestly think girls are maturing younger these days, periods at 8 and 9, dark hair appearing earlier. It's a shame. None of this stuff happened to me or my friends until we were about 13. What's going on?

Ceolas Mon 16-Jul-07 19:21:51

Agree if it's really a big issue for her get some cream rather than risk her slashing herself to bits with a razor.

that she feels like this at 10 though.

newlifenewname Mon 16-Jul-07 19:22:06

I did this secretly and was tormented with guilt. I used Immac when I went to stay at a friend's. Was about 12 I think. I hid my legs from my mum for ages. She probably wouldn't have been cross but I definitely sensed that haior removal was not her idea of ok at this age.

I'd give permission but aum unsure as to best method.

HedTwigg Mon 16-Jul-07 19:22:12

I have to say it took till I was 12 or 13 for me to notice the dark hairs on my legs and that's because a group of boys took the mick out of me

My gut tells me she's far too young but if she is 'desparate' then I think I'd let her veet them . there is nothing worse than feeling self-conscious

Kbear Mon 16-Jul-07 19:23:58

I think that someone has probably said something to her to make her want to do this - it doesn't take much for a kid in school to fixate on something that obviously bothers her and make it a big deal.

AuntJetPetunia Mon 16-Jul-07 19:26:15

I became self concious of my hairy legs at about 11. My mum agreed I could Immac them and I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful! I say let her do it. If you don't she might remember back and wonder why you let her be so miserable and hairy! I know 10 seems young, but really there is no "right age" for this, and you'll only be delaying the inevitable for another few months.

wishywotz Mon 16-Jul-07 19:30:17

I think I am going to have to do this before dd1 starts secondary. May have to do in summer. Good luck TooTicky.

Hair remover sounds best for safety reasons.

EscapeFrom Mon 16-Jul-07 19:32:09

yes definatley let her, it's hardly going to turn her into a streetwalker!

Don't make her wear your principles if she is suffering for it./

deaconblue Mon 16-Jul-07 19:33:34

I had such hairy legs at 11 that the boys used to take the piss. Convinced my mum to let me shave mine by stealing her razor and giving it a go - ended up with nasty chunks missing. I would help her and show her how to shave without cutting herself in case she tries to do it anyway. Wish my mum had taken me to get them waxed actually coz I wonder if I had always had them waxed they might be less hairy now

frogs Mon 16-Jul-07 19:34:11

I'd say yes, if she's really clear in her own mind that this is what she wants. Alternatively, buy some wax strips and wax them for her (or take her to a salon if you're feeling generous). I did dd1's legs for her at the beginning of the summer, and have done a couple of repeats since (she's just turned 12, and blonde, but quite hairy).

If it really matters to her, you can't not take that seriously IMO, though you can let her know that not all women shave and that she doesn't have to go along with it.

TooTicky Mon 16-Jul-07 20:07:21

Thank you all for your lovely replies.
I feel she is too young, but really don't want her to be self-conscious about it. She has already had friendship issues at school and I don't want to make her stand out.
Hum.
Would feel like a hypocrite refusing, really. But she's only 10!!! Well, 11 in September.
I think there is a natural alternative to Veet - will have to investigate I think.
And how bad is waxing? I have heard horror stories but never done it.

Blondilocks Mon 16-Jul-07 20:15:08

I can't remember when I started shaving, but it was by the age of 13 definitely.

For what it's worth, last time I was in the hairdressers a 13 yr old girl had her legs waxed & she was smiling when she came out!

NKF Mon 16-Jul-07 20:19:16

My feeling is that it is too young and not the way to solve teasing and meanness at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now