Talk

Advanced search

<sigh> OK, so when is a woman officially peri-menopausal? And when can we look forward to being properly menopausal? And what's it like?

(17 Posts)
WideWebWitch Sat 14-Jul-07 11:57:34

I'm not particularly looking forward to the menopause but am idly wondering how far away it is.

This is partly prompted by a friend who is the same age as me (40) who told me she bought a book about the menopause recently.

JemimaPip Sat 14-Jul-07 12:31:49

I don't have answers but I'm a few years ahead of you and have been known to idly wonder, mainly because my mother went through the menopause (by which she means end of periods) at 44.

I am planning a smooth and trouble free transition

2spells Sat 14-Jul-07 17:56:14

have to admit to being terrified by all this. what does per-menopausal mean.
I feel very dim about all this and it is appraoching fast.
www i thought it happened nearer 50

foxinsocks Sat 14-Jul-07 18:00:06

I am in menopause (medically) at the moment.

It's fine tbh.

If you normally get a high around ovulation time (sexually), that goes but other than that, it's not tooooooooo bad.

JoolsToo Sat 14-Jul-07 18:01:09

well, I was 36 when I started the menopause but happily for me, apart from the cessation of my period, I have had no other symptoms. In fact it was a doddle and I didn't and haven't felt any ill effects.

My bf on the other hand was 50 and has been having hot sweats, headaches and god knows what for the last 5 years. She was anti HRT so used natural remedies none of which helped her much tbh.

I suppose the menopause is the same as everything - different for everyone.

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 14-Jul-07 18:02:06

I have a friend who is 48 and reckons she's peri menopausal - hot flushes etc...am dreading this.

foxinsocks Sat 14-Jul-07 18:06:49

I take HRT at the moment. It sorted out the hot flushes/night sweats tout de suite.

lou33 Sat 14-Jul-07 18:15:32

i'm not looking forward to it, i think perimenopause is starting with me, my cycle keeps changing and blood loss has got more

i think my mum was mid 40's when hers started but she used to suffer terribly from it

Judy1234 Sat 14-Jul-07 18:52:50

I think the average age in the UK and historically and world wide is 50 or 51 for the real thing.

2spells Sat 14-Jul-07 19:03:25

JoolsToo thanks you have given me hope. I am hoping it will go smoothly.
Xenia i always thought it had something to do with your mum and when she had hers. Well that is what they always ask me. trouble is she died of cancer when I was 18 so have no idea.

mozhe Sat 14-Jul-07 19:03:54

It is something,( like the menarche ), that tends to run strongly in families....so ask your mother...it may be a bit later if your mother is a lot older than you because diet/health of women is much better now than 40+ years ago.
I've just had a baby at 44...my mother had her last child at 49....and her last period at 56...The day after the 12 month period following your LMP is the actual day of your menopause.
Most women have no problems apparently.

mozhe Sat 14-Jul-07 19:05:59

2spells....sorry about your mother....have you maternal aunts ? That could give you some indication....

2spells Sat 14-Jul-07 19:09:34

mozhe no my auntie died last year and all the others are gone bar one. and she lives in oz.

2spells Sat 14-Jul-07 19:14:03

(have amailed my cousen thank goodness she is a nurse or she would think i was very odd lol)

iota Sat 14-Jul-07 19:16:07

I believe that you can have a blood test that indicates whether you are in the peri-menopause, if you really want to find out

iota Sat 14-Jul-07 19:19:11

some info here

WideWebWitch Sun 15-Jul-07 08:56:40

Oh god, no, I don't want to know that badly Iota, but thanks!

Lol Jemimapip, yes, a smooth trouble free transistion would be fab wouldn't it?

FIS, aren't you my age? Is it technically early then for you?

I am at my mum's atm so will go downstairs and ask her in a minute. Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now