Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Enid, that book you recommended here sometime ago...

(4 Posts)
IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Sat 14-Jul-07 10:47:35

to learn how to help a sensitive child, could you please tell me its name?

I have been searching for the thread in question but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

BonyM Sat 14-Jul-07 11:18:50

Isabel - was it : The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them by Elaine N. Aron?

I have this and it's very good - you can get it from Amazon.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Sat 14-Jul-07 11:50:56

Thank you Bony! I'm not sure if that's the one but it seems like it is.

I'm not quite sure if DS is, generally, a highly sensitive child but there are some very simple things that affect him deeply.

Have you seen a good change after using it? I'm sorry if intruding, I'm just full of questions.

BonyM Sun 15-Jul-07 16:16:37

Isabel, I feel the same as you - not 100% sure about dd2, but having read the book I am certain that I am a "highly sensitive" person and dd2 shows many of the same traits that I did as a child (plus others).

I have found that reading it has affected the way I treat her. I accept her sensitivities as part of her now rather than trying to "cure" them, and this is turn has made her more confident.

For example, I used to take her to a music & movement class which she would sometimes start off enjoying but then want to go home half-way through. I used to persist and encourage her to stay, but now I have accepted that she's not actually that keen (says it's too noisy) so we have stopped going.

She is only 2 and a lot of the book is probably more help with older children but it is certainly very interesting and I'm sure I will refer back to it often as she gets older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now