Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Similar Authors To Maeve Binchy and Marian Keyes?

(12 Posts)
diane124 Fri 13-Jul-07 22:12:09

I have read all the books that Maeve Binchy and Marian Keyes have written and i find them very interesting. Do any of you know any authors similar to them?
Diane

Cathy Kelly? Also Irish, chicklit - I like her. Also Patricia Scanlon.

nellie75 Fri 13-Jul-07 22:16:34

Try Katie Fforde, i like the authors you mentioned and i love all her books

GrimoireThief Fri 13-Jul-07 22:16:54

Not Irish, but you might like Isla Dewar's books.

JoMa Fri 13-Jul-07 22:18:48

I love Marian Keyes writing and I also enjoy Patricia Scanlan, another Irish writer so maybe try her?

diane124 Fri 13-Jul-07 22:20:45

Thank you for your help! I will try and read some of their books, If you can think of anymore i will be dead greatful.
Diane

dweezle Fri 13-Jul-07 23:01:30

Hi Diane

Have a look at the book club thread. Also, there are lots of web pages that list similar authors - if you google 'authors like' you can request details of authors who may appeal to you.

elkiedee Sat 14-Jul-07 11:45:40

As Dweezle mentioned, there is a Book Club section of the mumsnet forums where a similar thread to this might draw more responses.

As suggested by whompingwillow and JoMa, Cathy Kelly and Patricia Scanlan are certainly worth a try, I think Kelly is in Binchy's tradition. It's a few years since I read Scanlan but I did like those books I read.

If you like Marian Keyes, I would also recommend the Kate Thompson who writes about a young actress called Deirdre O'Dare and other characters (there is another Kate Thompson whose books also look interesting but a different style entirely to what I think you're looking for). And Terri Prone.

I will try to think of more but have to run back upstairs now as I left dp holding the baby.

madamez Sat 14-Jul-07 11:48:42

Try Louise Bagshawe: bit more glitzy but fun and a good read.

elkiedee Sat 14-Jul-07 12:42:26

Anne Dunlop's The Pineapple Tart is a wonderful and very funny novel published by Poolbeg Press, an Irish company who publish a lot of books of this type. Look also at Poolbeg's website, www.poolbeg.com - I've just discovered there's a new novel about the character from The Pineapple Tart, so I'm excited.

elkiedee Sat 14-Jul-07 12:52:47

Sigh, new Helen Dunlop novel isn't about the character in The Pineapple Tart - I might look for it when it comes out in mass market paperback or from the library anyway. I should say these books are quite old now, and while they're still published or reprinted it tends to be only the Irish writers who get taken up by London publishing companies whose work is consistently available here, otherwise some books find their way to bookshops and libraries, since London has a big London-Irish community, but they're not available as easily as Binchy and Keyes, for example.

An English writer with some of the emotional warmth, intelligence and writing ability of Binchy and Keyes is Rowan Coleman.

Millie1 Sat 14-Jul-07 22:09:24

Have you tried Catherine Alliott or Sophie Kinsella ... both great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now