Talk

Advanced search

Middle name - *go with what MAY be my hormones or choose what may be cooler for him??*

(33 Posts)
purplemania Thu 12-Jul-07 05:14:36

Help! DS2 is James and we need a middle name. Now down to 2 options: Francis (my bro's middle name - mum is Frances and plenty of Franks/Francis down the generations on my side of the family, even though they'd be so distant to DS he'd not connect to them) or Cullen (surname from DH's side of the family)

My emotions tell me Francis (after all he gets DH's surname anyway) but it's more about me as strangely I never liked the name before having kids and feeling all fuzzy about family ties all of a sudden (like it now though)Feel I'd like to know he's connected to me through his name - selfish though?

My head tells me Cullen (it's unusual, looks good, think he'll think it's cool when he grows up - BUT it's another name from DH's side)This option more about him and what he might like I think...
Both names sound good with our surname which is Scottish.

Have decided to only have one middle name, so don't really want to just have them both out of indecision...Advice needed!

yawningmonster Thu 12-Jul-07 05:18:40

We went for two middle names for just this reason, but if I had to choose I would say Francis, just seems to flow really nicely after James

purplemania Thu 12-Jul-07 05:22:46

Thanks yawning monster - nice to feel someone else is up at this godforsaken time!

DiagonAlipiggie Thu 12-Jul-07 05:23:19

I vote for Francis, but then I have a Francis of my own here - ds1.

CalifrauniusFudge Thu 12-Jul-07 05:33:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dionnelorraine Thu 12-Jul-07 05:37:34

if we have a boy next we might go for 2 middle names. After both our dads. Makes life a lot easier!!

James Francis Cullen....

Sounds lovely!

DrunkenSailor Thu 12-Jul-07 06:15:51

Message withdrawn

purplemania Thu 12-Jul-07 07:08:56

DS1 only has 1 middle name - feel a bit funny about giving DS2 more - any thoughts?

WaynettaSlob Thu 12-Jul-07 07:15:22

DS1 has only one middle name (DH's), DS2 has 2 - don't think #1 will be too traumatised by having one less!!!

usandnosleep Thu 12-Jul-07 07:17:15

I would forget everything else and just go for which you LIKE best.
Having a child with a name you later regret must be annoying?!

Butterbeertroot Thu 12-Jul-07 07:54:31

toss a coin

Leati Thu 12-Jul-07 08:01:04

It is all about compromise. But personally, no offence, I don't care for the name Francis. I think it is slightly girly for a boy but I am American so I don't know that much about boy and girl names overseas.

Leati Thu 12-Jul-07 08:01:57

Two middle names is good too. My third and last boy has two middle names...david craig laurence...

Hallgerda Thu 12-Jul-07 09:36:26

Francis reminds me of The Reluctant Cannibal I'm afraid, so I'd go for Cullen. Sorry.

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 12-Jul-07 09:37:58

francis

FirenzeandZooey Thu 12-Jul-07 09:38:50

Nowt wrong with Francis or Frances

<hard stare>

aloha Thu 12-Jul-07 09:41:12

I like Francis. My dd's middle name is Frances, also a family name. But Cullen is certainly unusual (I've never even heard of it) and I approve very strongly of using family names as middle names. I think that's the best possible use for a middle name and really regret not giving my ds a family middle name.

butterbeer Thu 12-Jul-07 09:51:50

What was the story behind DS1's middle name? Was that a family name and if so from which side?

Probably Francis, though.

TigerFeet Thu 12-Jul-07 09:56:14

James Francis Cullen sounds great, flows well.

Why not use both?

I have one middle name, my sister has two. We have never fallen out over it

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 12-Jul-07 09:56:53

i wouldn't use cullen because of jamie cullen the singer

TigerFeet Thu 12-Jul-07 09:58:45

He's Jamie Cullum, FilchTMMJ

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 12-Jul-07 09:59:42

aaahhhh[dons old fogie hat] oh well sounds similar......

francis is nice!!

massivebigpantsface Thu 12-Jul-07 10:01:22

I like family names being passed down - we named dd after sil and sis - Amy Victoria.

rbj949703 Thu 12-Jul-07 22:53:43

Both.

I have 2 middle names, my sister has none, brother no.1 has 2, brother no.2 has 1 and brother no.3 has none.

My dd's and ds all have 1 middle name. None of them are named after anyone in either family, I couldn't be doing with the arguments - she/he is named after me, no it's after me, no it's after me.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 12-Jul-07 23:01:52

Go with Francis. Your wish to have your family connections commemorated will get stronger as you get older, not weaker, so you won't regret it.
But I agree the two together look nice too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: