Talk

Advanced search

anybody else changed their name by deed poll?

(8 Posts)
hotcrumpets Tue 10-Jul-07 11:20:23

dp and i have been engaged for ages (been together for 9 years) but to be honest neither of us is particularly bothered about the actual getting married part. We've had the money to do it before, but seem to always find something better to do with it.

anyway dd has his surname and with the new baby coming v soon we have been talking about me just changing my name to his by deed poll (the only thing that bothers me about not being married is having diff name to dc)

has anybody else done this online, if so any recommendations for who to go with?

geekgirl Tue 10-Jul-07 11:22:40

why don't you just have a v. small register office wedding? then you'll have all the protection re. inheritance, next of kin etc. that marriage offers without the fuss you obviously don't want.

portonovo Tue 10-Jul-07 11:26:03

Deed poll is dead easy to do, but I agree with geekgirl, just get married! More legal protection for a family. Have a really small wedding, just you two and the witnesses if you like, followed by a lovely meal out.

hotcrumpets Tue 10-Jul-07 11:27:16

we have thought about it, but with the big families we both have it just wouldn't work out that way

we could just do it without telling/inviting anyone, but would then end up with v annoyed family members

we already have wills etc in place so all that is sorted if anything was to happen, we have joint ownership of all household things, cars etc and only one joint bank account

i just want to get it done soon so that we have the same surname on new babies birth certificate

chevre Tue 10-Jul-07 11:35:24

don't tell them you are married. just slip off and do it and carry on as before.

ruddynorah Tue 10-Jul-07 11:40:48

when we got married we did deed polls to both have my maiden name as our middle name. dd now has it too. was very straightforward, did it through an online company, then sent their stuff off and got new passports for each of us.

having said that though, imo you should just get married.

TenaLady Tue 10-Jul-07 11:42:28

Oh this is a shame that folk change names through deed poll for the simple reason that you get lost in history. If future family try to track ancestors 9/10 you will be missed or disregarded. That is sad.

QueenofBleach Tue 10-Jul-07 11:56:39

We did deed poll to have both our surnames, after 35 years was rather attached to mine, google deed poll and it will come up with the compnay you want, they send you documents which someone will have to sign for you and then they send you the original and copies, after that when changing things like bank accounts, passprt etc then you need to send original document only

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now