Advanced search

Does travel insurance cover the excess on your car hire vehicle if it gets damaged?

(6 Posts)
CountessDracula Mon 09-Jul-07 13:55:09

Mine says that I am covered for damage to third parties or their property. Not sure if this means I would be covered. If that is the case then why would anyone take out the CDW thingy to reduce the excess?

WendyWeber Mon 09-Jul-07 13:56:42

Only one of the policies would cover you though, CD - you can't get double insurance. So I think the travel ins co would say they wouldn't pay out because you had car insurance.

CountessDracula Mon 09-Jul-07 13:57:23

Ah but as I am not insured for the excess do you think they would pick it up?

LaylaandSethsmum Mon 09-Jul-07 13:57:34

No you wouldn't be covered if you damagd the car ie; scraped it down a wall, you are only covered if you crash into something or somebody else, if someone crashes into you then its their insurance that covers it ( if they have any!!)

What the CDW thing?

WendyWeber Mon 09-Jul-07 13:58:02

It's an interesting philosophical argument - why don't you run it by them first?

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 09-Jul-07 14:02:22

Travel insurance wont cover the car or the excess on another policy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: