Talk

Advanced search

council housing advice

(12 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 08-Jul-07 13:58:56

basically what am i likely to get more quickly? 2 bed house or 3 bed house?

bagsundereyes Sun 08-Jul-07 14:15:13

I'm afraid as far as I know you can't request a number of bedrooms. They will tell you what you need, and allocate accordingly. Different councils have different requirements though, so I can't say with any certainty what you'd get.

Here in central London, singles get studios, couples studio or 1 bed, +one child gets one or two bed. But this is a housing shortage area, so you might do better elsewhere.

TaylorsMummy Sun 08-Jul-07 15:26:25

how many of you?

nappyaddict Mon 09-Jul-07 06:52:30

2 or 3 people depending on whether i could get a 2 or 3 bed house.

hippmummy Mon 09-Jul-07 07:00:03

When we investigated we were told that as a couple with 2 children we were only entitled to a 2 bed place. Children would be expected to share. We were not guarenteed a house (could be a flat) but as we had children under 7 we would be entitled to a garden.

We live in Devon.

nappyaddict Mon 09-Jul-07 08:05:14

we would be entitled to 2 or 3 depending on whether my dad lives with us. 1 for me, 1 for ds, 1 for my dad.

hippmummy Mon 09-Jul-07 08:32:01

Worth checking with the council, but I would think as there are fewer 3 bed places than 2, and they are more sought after, you would be likely to be offered a 2 bed place more quickly .

Good luck NA - I saw your plight on a previous thread x

nutcracker Mon 09-Jul-07 08:45:31

Depends on your area.

It might be a flat not a house too, unless you have a particular need for a house.

If there was you, your ds and your dad, then yep you could have 3 beds and yeah it would be more likely to be a house as flats tend to be 1 or 2 bed.

If it were just you and your ds though, then you'd have the chance of 2 bed flats or 2 bed houses, so realistically should get something quicker.

expatinscotland Mon 09-Jul-07 08:54:15

Depends on area.

Here, you wouldn't get a house at all and would be very lucky to get a flat. 3 beds? No way.

Best of luck.

nutcracker Mon 09-Jul-07 08:55:59

Where are you living now ?? Is it you that is with your mum ??

Problem is, if your mum actually has room for you then the council won't see you as priority, even if you and your ds are sharing a room.

expatinscotland Mon 09-Jul-07 09:03:11

Yes, many councils like to pull that stunt, nutty. 'Oh, well, then, you're not technically homeless, you're just overcrowded (which is of course lesser priority).

Thanks, Maggie Thatcher. There's a special place in hell for you, I'm sure.

nappyaddict Mon 09-Jul-07 09:25:20

no i'm staying with a friend at the moment where there is her, me and ds in one room, although she has been at her boyfriends mostly.

here if you have children they don't let you have a flat cos of the noise and disturbing other people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now