Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsPsquiggle Fri 06-Jul-07 22:33:01

smurfgirl Fri 06-Jul-07 22:36:52

Oh sorry!!

You there?

smurfgirl Fri 06-Jul-07 22:38:36

Well I will ask away

I am a student nurse and for our first semester of 3rd year we can apply for a placement with the addiction liasion service working within A&E/AAU( MAU)/at risk GP service. We have to e-mail someone giving a rationale for this choice and 4 expected learning outcomes for the placement - 2 of which must be related to your personal and professional development (which is odd -surely all learning outcomes relate to these).

How does this sound? I am at the end of my 2nd year and doing adult branch if that makes a difference?

I would like a placement with the addictions liaison service, this is an area I am interested in having worked with people with substance abuse problems on ward and community placements. I would like to increase my knowledge of this area, particularly because it is a significant problem in Hull where I plan to work once I qualify. I think that sometimes people with substance abuse problems are not treated appropriately and so this placement would help my practice wherever I work.

Learning outcomes –
- Develop appropriate communication techniques when working with different groups of patients/clients using addiction liaison service
- Develop an understanding of harm reduction strategies in patients with substance abuse problems
- Gain an understanding into addictions and the health problems this can lead to for patients/clients
- Understand the work and different roles of the multi-disciplinary team in addiction services and the role of the registered nurse within this team.

Would appreciate any input/advice its quite competetive and I want it!!

MrsPsquiggle Sun 08-Jul-07 11:49:42

smurfgirl Sun 08-Jul-07 20:55:28

Thanks for the advice.

I want to convey that sometimes nurses make assumptions about people and that can affect their care - have seem people refused pain relief for example because its assumed they are drug seeking. Also feel a lot of people do have these issues and want to ensure that they get appropriae care and tbh i have not got a clue about addictions and helping people.

Oh and v.thanks for misuse and not abuse advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now