Talk

Advanced search

How can I find out about my propertys history?

(17 Posts)
Nbg Tue 03-Jul-07 11:19:04

Its an old house about 250 years old.
Its next to village pub and I'm sure at some point it was part of the pub.

I've got one of dh's colleagues here whos making a cupboard for us and hes one of these that likes to renovate houses. Anyway he's convinced that we could have a cellar and has commented on other parts of the house which could be hidden under the horrid wood panelling we have.

Where can I gte the information I need to find these things out?
I know from the deeds of the house that just over 100 years ago the house had a different name and the road was also named differently but thats about it. They dont give anymore clues.
I've checked out the councils website and theres nothing there too.

Whats the next step? Has anyone else done this?

Azure Tue 03-Jul-07 11:21:40

A friend of mine did a lot of research about her road at the archives in the local library. I'm uncertain how much that would tell you about original plans for the property, though, but could give a useful insight.

Nbg Tue 03-Jul-07 11:31:26

ahhh thats an option
was hoping to do it online but never mind

fanella Tue 03-Jul-07 11:35:18

If you check the online census from 1901 backwards you can see the occupations of people who lived there, which might give some clues about the use of the building maybe?

fishwith3eyes Tue 03-Jul-07 11:37:25

Go to your local public record office.
There are lots of resources like 19th c street directories that aren't online, and the archivists would be able to tell you what resources are good/lacking for your particular area.
There might be such things as maps with outlines of buildings or property boundaries.

One thing you should be able to get online is census records which tell you who was living in your house, how old they were and what their occupation was. Google for census records - you will probably have to pay a bit but it's not expensive.

This can be quite interesting - I found out that my 2 bedroom terrace had 8 adults living in it and the house opposite had 10!

fishwith3eyes Tue 03-Jul-07 11:38:02

x-posted!

bubblerock Tue 03-Jul-07 12:30:30

nbg if you put the address in Here it should get you started - I think the 1901 census is the only one you can check addresses on but I may be wrong. I'm paid up with ancestry so if you manage to find the family living there in 1901 and want me to download the original document for you and see if they still lived there in previous census listings I dont mind (in fact I love geneology )

Nbg Tue 03-Jul-07 12:42:07

Oooh brilliant!

Thanks very much.

I'm so excited that we might have a cellar.
Dh will be quaking in his boots though

MamaG Tue 03-Jul-07 12:42:23

I'd love a cellar

bubblerock Tue 03-Jul-07 12:45:12

They did cram a fair few people in them didn't they? lol

Grrrr Tue 03-Jul-07 12:48:14

Thnaks for the website link bubblerock!

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jul-07 12:49:54

How exciting! I'd love a house with possible "hidden bits".

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jul-07 12:51:11

If you think it may have been part of the pub, could you ask to go into the pub's cellar and see if it looks like the adjoining wall has been bricked up or anything?

Nbg Tue 03-Jul-07 12:53:28

Well I know from looking in the attic it looks like its been connected at some point.

There are just a ton of things in the house that hint to there being something else and I want to know what they are!

(MG, did you see your dress thread?)

MamaGroundskeeperWillie Tue 03-Jul-07 12:54:13

yes! have replied to it

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jul-07 18:15:20

Ah, but if the cellar also looks like it was joined it means that there is a cellar under your house.

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jul-07 18:15:45

What things hint then?? I'm curious!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now