Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dd1's six year old friend mocked her for wearing a vest today - "I wear bras!" WTF?

(18 Posts)
emkana Mon 02-Jul-07 19:39:57

She wasn't really being horrible, but why does a six year old need to wear a pretend bra anyway?

Twiglett Mon 02-Jul-07 19:41:26

they make pretent bras for 6 year olds?

Blandmum Mon 02-Jul-07 19:42:04

god, how awful if they do!

winestein Mon 02-Jul-07 19:42:53

I remember people wearing training bras when I was at school - they were around 9 or 10 then.

WHY?

6 is just plain crazy.

Hulababy Mon 02-Jul-07 19:42:57

Was it like a crop top type vest the ther one had then? Or a bra type thing?

Have seen really inappropriate underwear for little girls in most hugh street shops and supermarkets TBh though.

snowwonder Mon 02-Jul-07 19:43:21

they make crop tops for younger- awful

let kids be kids

Tutter Mon 02-Jul-07 19:43:41

how bizarre

and quite scary

emkana Mon 02-Jul-07 19:44:19

Yes it was basically a vest that only went to underneath the chest, but with a strap like a bra.

AbRoller Mon 02-Jul-07 19:45:10

maybe she doesn't wear one at all and it was just bravado (not trying to be funny - honest)

My dd and pals are always comparing who has the most grown-up things - handbags, highheels, make-up etc.

emkana Mon 02-Jul-07 20:09:22

No it was def a vest crop top thingy, and she called it a bra.

frascati Mon 02-Jul-07 20:10:14

A vest in this weather

emkana Mon 02-Jul-07 20:13:30

frascati - why ? It's not exactly 30 degrees outside, so yes, dd1 wears a vest under her school summer dress.

LucyLamb Mon 02-Jul-07 20:13:50

My god daughter is 8 now and has been wearing crop tops since she was 6 - she is a bit of a chub and my friend says that she needs the support ! I silently and internally tutted at the time !

I am also shocked at anyone wearing a vest though in this weather !

Hulababy Mon 02-Jul-07 20:14:27

Sad that the child feels the need to call it a bra.

DD never wears vests, not even in the winter. She never feels the cold!

emkana Mon 02-Jul-07 20:17:08

Feel inclined to start another thread now...

Ellbell Mon 02-Jul-07 20:23:17

Don't think my dd would know what a friend meant if she said she was wearing a bra. When dd1 was about 3 she mentioned my 'booby-scarf' and, stupidly, the word has now stuck. Both dd1 and dd2 think that the thing is actually called a booby-scarf now. I suppose I should disabuse them at some point.

shhhh Mon 02-Jul-07 21:50:44

I remember going shopping with my dh's cousin (6 at the time) as she was due to be our bridesmaid..she showed me in the store knickers that were for sale and that her mum had bought her...

At 24 not even I would have worn something like that....

God I so dread the day when dd comes home from school and.........(she's 2 btw..so hopefully a while off )

RubyRioja Mon 02-Jul-07 21:59:19

My dd is 7 and wears your bog standard briefs normally (you know that nearly reach the armpits). However I bought her a pair of knickers with lace and matching crop top (short vest not bra shaped) for Xmas as stocking filler. She adores this combo and refers to it as her 'bra'. I think she regards it in the same light as hair glitter or lip gloss - in our case dressing up for parties. Surprising as I usually dress her like Laura Ingalls!

So I mean, I think the children, rather than the parents can come up with this label!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now