Talk

Advanced search

What does your answer machine/voice mail message sound like?

(18 Posts)
Earlybird Sun 01-Jul-07 23:25:17

Is it straightforward, witty, automated, chatty, something else? How often do you change it?

Some of my single female friends have brothers/male pals record messages for them for 'security' reasons. Other friends seem at one extreme or the other - they either change messages with great regularity (and try to be witty), or never change at all (bare minimum). Was a bit startled today to get the voice of a child on a message (presume the dd of a friend) when I called today.

Tell me about yours...and can you recall any that have been memorably bad or good?

jampot Sun 01-Jul-07 23:37:01

Last easter sunday dh was being a real arse and wouldnt come to my sisters for dinner after being invited. when mum was alive she liked us all to get together on easter sunday so it was particularly upsetting so I changed the answer phone message to "sorry lisa isnt here at the moment but david is but he's being a real cunt so probably wont answer. please leave a message and one of us probably me will get back to you"
i happen to know his mum called but she;s never mentioned it

these days its just boring

PrettyCandles Sun 01-Jul-07 23:38:08

I never change mine (other than to update and number changes) because I think it's funny, and so do my callers. Shan;t say waht it is, though, as that would be too identifying .

My sister re-recorded my parents' message just before she went away to uni, and they didn't change it for about 10 years, so most of their friensd thoguht she was still living at home!

BreeVanDerCamp Sun 01-Jul-07 23:38:38

I got rid of the answering machine attached to our house phone. It is so liberating.

lou33 Sun 01-Jul-07 23:39:30

dont have an answer machine, voice mail says something about nearly getting me but not quite

Pan Sun 01-Jul-07 23:45:15

two of my friends have their own voices recorded saying "You know what to do, and you know when to do it." Adore brevity.

hana Sun 01-Jul-07 23:47:30

hate the ones that say mum, dad, kid number one, kid number 2 etc etc aren't home, please leave message

my brother does this and the baby is just a few weeks old. bit tacky

Earlybird Mon 02-Jul-07 07:05:18

One friend has a message that tricks me most every time. The message says 'hello' and pauses. The caller thinks it's really her, and starts talking, only to be interrupted by a recorded voice saying 'I'm not available at the moment so please leave a message'. I always feel silly to know I've been chatting to a recording!

Sometimes when I call, I hesitate because I don't know if it's really her answering or the machine....

Imawurzel Mon 02-Jul-07 07:19:48

My DH then DB had that when i met him, fell for it everytime!!
Mine just says 'you've reached **'s phone, i cant take your call at the moment if you leave a message i'll think about calling you back. bye.
Was trying to think of something witty but i just don't have it in me.

WideWebWitch Mon 02-Jul-07 07:40:45

Ours at home is me and sounds a bit bossy and shouty, recorded it in a hurry about 2 years ago and haven't got around to changing it. Voicemail on mobile and at work is calm and professional, states my name and asks you to leave a message.

yaddayah Mon 02-Jul-07 08:00:54

did originally have me saying "the yadda's can't take your call at the moment so please leave a message" until dh kindly pointed out I sound like Peggy Mitchell on a bad day so we changed it to the computer voice one

funny messages after the 20th airing tend to grate on me slightly

Earlybird Mon 02-Jul-07 09:42:47

Always cringe when I hear my voicemail message and think 'ugh, do I really sound like that?'

sixlostmonkeys Mon 02-Jul-07 09:44:23

When ds was very young I let him do the message himself. Everyone loved it, it sounded so sweet..a toddler sounding very professional (toddler lisp 'n all)
The HV called once and when i saw her she told me I really shouldn't have his message on because it could be hard for callers to understand what he was saying. She was really stern about it.
I decided it was more important for ds to enjoy taking part in family/life stuff than to continue seeing the HV....

Wilbur Mon 02-Jul-07 09:45:10

Ours just says "Hi, we can't come to the phone right now, please leave a message after the beep. thanks." No names, no number.

BBBee Mon 02-Jul-07 09:47:53

LOL jampot!

mine is my recorded voice, but somewhere along the recording process it got swapped for the voice of a completly poncey bitch.

beep Mon 02-Jul-07 10:19:36

have just listened to mine as someone the other day commented on it,I hadn't realised dd1 had changed it again.

"We've already booked a holiday,we don't need washers or a dryers, we don't need car insurance or pet insurance anything like that.
If you are a friend or family member or you knowus or simply want to get to know us then please leave a message after the tone.
Why's it called a tone anyway? Why not a bleep.....Please leave a message after the bleep? Weird....Please leave a message after the beep..Bleeep.
Yeah you thought that was the real bleep didn't you,well its not,fooled you. I'm evil,(then she gets cut off mid flow)

Toots Mon 02-Jul-07 10:51:26

Jampot that is absolutely hilarious.

I think I sound rather foxy on ours so wouldn't want to change it. it's nearly six years old and was recorded before DH had a mobile, so it gives my mobile number but not one for him. But that suits him because he doesn't like being phoned up.

musicianswidowAKAmumofmonsters Mon 02-Jul-07 10:55:08

we just have the 1571 lady

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now