Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can we have an IRISH thread?

(214 Posts)
KerryMum Tue 26-Jun-07 20:36:17

I know there's a whole bunch of us floating around but haven't seen any Irish specific threads. Northern Irish yes, but how about one for the rest of us?

Where is everyone? Who are you?

TnOgu Tue 26-Jun-07 20:39:38

Hello Kerry

How are you and more importantly how is your ds today?

RosaLuxembourg Tue 26-Jun-07 20:39:45

I'm Irish but have been living on the other side of the water for a long time now.
Coming home for a holiday in the summer so can you Irish mumsnetters allow me on your thread as I have a question to ask.
Is my mum raving when she tells me not to drink the water when I come over? She claims she only uses bottled now, even to brush her teeth because the tap water gives you cancer or boils or some such. What is she on about?

TnOgu Tue 26-Jun-07 20:43:11

Rosa, I'm in Co.Wicklow and the water here is not safe to drink because it is not treated properly and so we use bottled water all the time.

I do know a lot of people who happily drink fromthe tap, but they do seem to be forever ill - perhaps it's a coincidence, I don't know.

RosaLuxembourg Tue 26-Jun-07 20:55:30

OK TnOgu thanks. So for once in her life she is not being an alarmist hypochondriac then. How long has this been going on for then? Can Bertie not wave his magic hands over the water supply and make it turn to gold? He seems to be able to walk on the stuff - oh wait, maybe that's the problem.

GibbonInARibbon Tue 26-Jun-07 20:59:12

I drink the water when home in connemara

KerryMum Tue 26-Jun-07 21:14:55

Well he's back to his old self and driving me mental again so all's well

thanks tnogu! I was such a mess last night!

Hi Rosa!

Oh hell, what's your mom on about the water? I use bottled for drinking but brush teeth, etc. with tap.

KerryMum Tue 26-Jun-07 21:15:48

x-post

So where's this nasty water then? Please tell me not in Kerry!

TnOgu Tue 26-Jun-07 21:17:29

Lol @ Rosa, I think Bertie is too busy rubbing his greedy little hands together to be waving any wands.

The water in Wicklow is bad, but in other parts of the country it could be fine.

TnOgu Tue 26-Jun-07 21:18:54

I now Athlone had a problem with contamination recently in their water supply

GibbonInARibbon Tue 26-Jun-07 21:19:03

wow tnogu, I didn't know that, what is wrong with it?

TnOgu Tue 26-Jun-07 21:19:27

know

emat Tue 26-Jun-07 21:20:53

Hi everyone!

RosaLuxembourg is your mum living in the West? There's a problem with the water there being contaminated. We were over there recently and even had to use bottled water for brushing teeth.
I'm in Dublin and drink the tap water.

flea Tue 26-Jun-07 21:21:14

the water in galway is listed as undrinkable and shouldnt be used for teeth, drinking etc (due to need to update the water treatment plants) : google Galway and Water and you will find loads..

Ennis did have problems (had a boil notice) - I am unsure if they have been solved..

So there are problems in some areas but not all.

GibbonInARibbon Tue 26-Jun-07 21:21:51

blimey flea is that recent??? I haven't been back this year yet

emat Tue 26-Jun-07 21:22:46

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0326/water.html

recent as in the past 6 months

KerryMum Tue 26-Jun-07 21:22:52

What about KERRY?

TnOgu Tue 26-Jun-07 21:23:28

I can't remember all the in's and out's, but basically with all the building that's going on the basic infrastructure isn't being updated to cope, and water and sewage are two major problems.

The systems need overhauling I guess.

KerryMum Tue 26-Jun-07 21:23:55

Oh yes, I remember that being all over the news recently wasn't some company or another dumping vast amounts of crap into the Galway water supply or something?

GibbonInARibbon Tue 26-Jun-07 21:24:27

blimey (she said again)

TnOgu Tue 26-Jun-07 21:24:45

It's an utter disgrace for such a rich country.

emat Tue 26-Jun-07 21:24:56

I think it was in Lough Corrib that got contaminated but they're not sure how

PinkTulips Tue 26-Jun-07 21:25:07

most of the water supplies are contaminated with cryptosporidium, galway is just the only official one.

best be careful but don't panic too much, it's just a tummy bug for a healthy adult, only really dangerous to kids and oldies

btw..... they've given us a section

RosaLuxembourg Tue 26-Jun-07 21:25:52

My mum is in Tipp, don't know if that is affected or if she is just being cautious. We are also heading to West Cork.
Maybe should stick to Guinness to be on the safe side.

KerryMum Tue 26-Jun-07 21:26:06

Pink - link didn't work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now