Talk

Advanced search

I'm running out of time here - does anyone know an insurance company that will email your cover note/policy docs?

(12 Posts)
newlifenewname Sat 23-Jun-07 10:02:53

Please, please, please say you do. I am completely without a car but have a new one to pick up nr Glasgow this weekend but need to ta it TODAY at a Post Office. Won't have a car to get children to school next week if I don't collect this weekend.

Seriously naffed off with insurance company and their wrong info.

bewilderbeast Sat 23-Jun-07 10:15:10

elephant usually email stuff

harman Sat 23-Jun-07 10:18:34

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Sat 23-Jun-07 10:19:24

some of them let you print from their site once you've paid, it's4me do I think

Nemo2007 Sat 23-Jun-07 10:38:02

some will fax one

newlifenewname Sat 23-Jun-07 10:38:45

Wow, thanks all - will investigate all you've mentioned.

Thanks, really.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 23-Jun-07 12:44:12

Just be careful, some post offices wont accept a fax so you will probably need original documents.

Blu Sat 23-Jun-07 12:53:06

Yes, I understood that the P.O demanded a top copy.But you can tax your car online, now, can't you? How does that work? I suppose you need to be able to put in the MOT and ins policy details?

SoupDragon Sat 23-Jun-07 12:59:13

A fax or photo copy will NOT do for taxing your car.

Online tax works because your insurance details are on a database - it goes by the reg no of your car.

misspopov Sat 23-Jun-07 13:10:13

You could ask the dealer about cover the last car we bought came with 7 days insurance cover to allow us to drive it away and alter insurance later.

newlifenewname Sat 23-Jun-07 15:25:23

Thanks again, all sorted now. I'm off to Glasgow in the morning to collect! <eek>

Just to clarify for the possible future benefit of anyone else in a similar position;

You can tax online with a new style MOT and the V5 reg. document as well as valid insurance. However, the database that is used to check the insurance is only updated periodically so, in my case, it wasn't possible to buy the tax in time as the insurance was only purchased late Fri night.

Other options are to go to DVLA office or Post Office but you WILL need an original insurance policy document. Again, in my case, this would not have been possible til Mon or Tues when it arrived via Royal Mail.

What I have done is insure my car with a company locally to me that also has offices in Cumbernauld where the car is. The seller has kindly picked up my insurance and gone and taxed the vehicle for me all in the nick of time!

So, I'm deciding whether to fly or National Express up to Glasgow now. Not much in it price wise but air taxes bumpt things up a bit so am deliberating. Am tres excited.

It's an oldy car I'm getting but I'll be able to fit car seats in without grazing my knuckles as is much bigger than my little Peugeot which I waved a slightly sad goodbye to yesterday.
Ahh, are you all asleep yet?

WideWebWitch Sat 23-Jun-07 15:45:50

God it's BRILLIANT being able to tax the car online, it made me very happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now